Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39,159 Posts
Shouldn't make any difference.

It is the same spec, same viscosity and also a semi synthetic.

Are you 100% sure it was the 10w-40 version?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shouldn't make any difference.

It is the same spec, same viscosity and also a semi synthetic.

Are you 100% sure it was the 10w-40 version?
Firstly my mistake, not Selenia (seem to have that on the brain lately) but was AGIP oil that was used in my car. Why I thought Selenia, I don't know. Berk!

First time I checked the oil since the service (2 weeks ago) and it has drank quite a bit and I can not recall it drinking as much.

·
Registered
39,159 Posts
Was the Agip the 10w-60 version?

That could explain it, but I will stand by my belief that 10w-60 is too thick for a TS (Or V6)engine.

It is possible that they didn't fill it right up at the service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the Agip the 10w-60 version?

That could explain it, but I will stand by my belief that 10w-60 is too thick for a TS (Or V6)engine.

It is possible that they didn't fill it right up at the service.
Nah me and Thompatruck did the service and used up a 5L drum of Mobil.

I'll just monitor it over the next 4 weeks, may be just a one off but the Alfa used hardly any oil with the Agip (HTS SAE 5w-40).

We'll see.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine also has to reach it's own level.........what I mean is that if the oil level was checked immediately after the service, and then run for a few miles, it may need a small top up. Too often garages judge how much oil to put in by measuring on the dipstick, as opposed to actaually measuring how much oil is being put in in relation to how much the engine will hold. When I do my service on the GTA, which takes 5.9 litres, there is about 200ml left in the container, but the dipstick reads full. After starting the car and letting it run for a minute or so, the level will have dropped slightly.

EDIT You posted before me, so please ignore all of the above, as you have already gone through those checks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is it too thick? I only run my TS on 10w60 and never had any problems plus does not drink anywhere near the amount it did when it ran on 10w40 plus car runs much better.

·
Registered
39,159 Posts
How is it too thick? I only run my TS on 10w60 and never had any problems plus does not drink anywhere near the amount it did when it ran on 10w40 plus car runs much better.
It's optimum operating temperature is much higher than a 10w-40, therefore it will never reach its operating temperature in normal use.

A 10w-60 is fine for track use in hot countries, but on the road in the UK in the coldest winter for years it won't be ideal.

Also oil consumption is more to do with the volatility of the oil, not just the viscosity.

You will usually find that a 5w-40 fully synthetic will burn less than a 10w-40 semi. I have also found that TS cars run better and sound quieter on 5w-40 fully synthetic than on 10w-40 semi.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I am doing an oil change next month and I am thinking of changing from the normal 20k Selenia to a fully synthetic Castrol or Mobil product. These seem to offer far better performance flr the same money. Selenia is rather expensive. I have only kept to it really, because Alfa Romeo recommend it.

·
Registered
39,159 Posts
Alfa recommended it because at the time of the 156's launch Selenia was owned by Fiat. Also there is a marketing tie up.

Now that Selenia have also launched a 5w-40 fully synthetic I think they have changed their recommendation for the TS to 5w-40 fully synthetic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you intend to use a 5w40 over a 10w40 in the future, can the two mix as a one off to get things rolling or would a oil drop and refresh with 5w40 be better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i recently done an oil change and bought selenia racing from my local alfa garage and they advised that they usually use selenia fully synthetic 5w-40 now and have had no problems.

·
Registered
39,159 Posts
If you intend to use a 5w40 over a 10w40 in the future, can the two mix as a one off to get things rolling or would a oil drop and refresh with 5w40 be better?
They will mix fine, but it would be better to change the lot.

The trouble with a "Rolling change" is that when you add new oil it becomes the same age as the oil that is in there due to the number of deposits and other combustion by-products in the old oil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They will mix fine, but it would be better to change the lot.

The trouble with a "Rolling change" is that when you add new oil it becomes the same age as the oil that is in there due to the number of deposits and other combustion by-products in the old oil.
Cheers

The 'old' oil is two weeks old so relatively fresh. I may change to 5w40 now. And I'm far too skint at the moment to go the whole hog again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm on my V6 was used selenia if i recall correct, changed it with Mobile1 5W-50 and didn't notice any differnce, except that it used less of it :)

BTW: i had a closer look on the datasheeds provided by the manufacturer (Mobile1 and Ravenol), both 5W-50 Oils but the Ravenol was in every aspect 10% or more worse than the Mobile.... pumpability at -40°C, Viscosity index just to name a few.
I dubble checked on some 10W-40 (not mobile) and found that the 5W-50 would be no worse than that 10W-40 so i decided to give it a go.

What i wanted to say: both manufactorers claim it's 5W-50 (for instance) but the difference in some aspects were as high as about 20%... in other words OIL =! OIL ;)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I find my Silly 2.0 uses less Selenia than other makes, with that in mind and that now Alfa recommend 10/60 in all TS engines (note not JTS), I went for Silkolene 10/50. And the consumption is much worse than with Selenia, so next choice is to either try 10/60, go back to Selenia, or just put in some cheap stuff that will not cost me as much to top up with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What do you think about Castrol products in the TS engines..the Magnetec range appears innovative and reduces engine wear apparantly. I get the Selenia tie in with Fiat thing...makes perfect marketing sense! Not having an Alfa dealer locally across here in West Wales it is mailorder only for Selenia, which adds a tenner to the change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts