Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i discovered that you can convert a normal 2wd gearbox into the P4 version by simply opening the case and changing the selector rod to the P4 version, and removing the gearbox mount and replacing with the rear section of the P4 box, that is the EMC with the wires in it. refill with oil and bolt it back on ... it may be easier for you to get a 2wd box i think .
Anyone else that think this is possible?

Mark: Have you done this?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I don't know if its possible, but it sounds feasible, as I believe the gearbox was the same more of less...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hi permanent 4

Yes i have done this once and it worked out fine....Bit fiddly but not too difficult.
only word of warning make sure the oil seal is tight on the bottom of the gearbox ( best to buy a new gasket) as mine didnt stop dripping oil until it all ran out and it trashed the gearbox :rolleyes:
Oh and i would make sure it was a 16v gearbox as this was at least built to withstand the 137bhp and torque of that engine.

Someone may come along and say the internals are different (?) but i doubt they are simply for cost of manufacture for alfa romeo in the first place...When i was doing it i had
one of each g/box side by side and they appear identical.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
JUST A THOUGHT:
I suppose its possible that the front diff may be (slightly) different ?

But then again why would they change it? it is after all the exact same engine in the car as the 2wd 16v and the 4wd only becomes active when the front wheels begin to loose grip... it would just add a lot more cost to manufacturing the car...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts