1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So winter ownership of an GTV has been exciting so far,

Locks freezing,
Doors jamming
Windscreen washer fluid frozen no matter what concentration (I read today that in Russia (sub 30°C at times they use vodka to wash there windscreens!!!) :cheese:
Rear windscreen burning fuse smell (fixed now mind)

I am not complaining, I love the experience.

But my question is what happens to the GTV when the weather is very hot, say 25C+. What joys of Alfa ownership are waiting for me in the summer?????:thumbs:

·
Registered
82 Posts
What joys of Alfa ownership are waiting for me in the summer?????:thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Sitting outside a country pub on a warm evening admiring it!

L

·
0 Posts
yep, frozen locks. I needed to open the passenger door and couldn't because the door knob was frozen, so i thought i would try and open it from the inside. I pulled the handle and it suddenly went slack. The door didn't open but i wonder what i broke?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I had to get in my 146 this morning via the front passenger door and this evening the rear passenger door. Tomorrow the boot perhaps :lol:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
yep, frozen locks. I needed to open the passenger door and couldn't because the door knob was frozen, so i thought i would try and open it from the inside. I pulled the handle and it suddenly went slack. The door didn't open but i wonder what i broke?
I did exactly thhe same last week .................. Haven't got round to taking the panel off the door yet but knowing how the mechanism works on these I suspect either the cable has come off the lever, that one's an easy fix. Or the clamp that holds the outer cable has snapped, It's only a small plastic bracket so it won't be big bucks to buy another one.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gist of it seems.....No major summers issues.

The pub and driving comment I am happy with, this is why I bought the car in the first place!

I say, bring on the summer.......:cool:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Silicon spray seems to be the best solution for frozen locks as I have tried and tested everything and it works best. Give a it a healthy dose at night every few days and it should be fine.

The temperatures were -16'C this morning up here in Abdn and I still managed to get in first time around with a bit of persuasion.

The car seems to handle very predictably in the snow and ice which is great given the current conditions.

As for summer... can't wait to get that hood down again! :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Silicon spray daily in these conditions has seen me being able to open every morning without fail, no matter how much snow and ice on the car.

As for handling though - mine is diabolical! Think this is more down to the elongated V-shaped tread pattern of my Goddyear Eagle F1s more than anything - in the snow, they just spin.

L

·
0 Posts
Thats a really great tip for winter - SILICON SPRAY YOUR DOOR LOCKS AND RUBBERS

·
Registered
693 Posts
I did exactly thhe same last week .................. Haven't got round to taking the panel off the door yet but knowing how the mechanism works on these I suspect either the cable has come off the lever, that one's an easy fix. Or the clamp that holds the outer cable has snapped, It's only a small plastic bracket so it won't be big bucks to buy another one.

Cheers to All
Peter
Or it could be the spring attached to the inside handle. This happened to me last winter, right before my window regulator gave up the ghost. So I saved both of those "pleasures" to sort at the same time. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i dont understand why everyone is having so much trouble with the frozen locks. They freeze badly and tight, but a jug of warmish water down the lock and almost immediately it lets me depress the button to get in?

Its after im in and it takes 5 hours to clear the windows that is my problem lol

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i dont understand why everyone is having so much trouble with the frozen locks. They freeze badly and tight, but a jug of warmish water down the lock and almost immediately it lets me depress the button to get in?

Its after im in and it takes 5 hours to clear the windows that is my problem lol
same hear, hot water, in i get, easy:thumbs:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
I don't get this warm water fix. Why pour something that will freeze again over your locks ? :confused: :confused:

I use Deicer, works as well if not better and it doesn't freeze.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I don't get this warm water fix. Why pour something that will freeze again over your locks ? :confused: :confused:

I use Deicer, works as well if not better and it doesn't freeze.
never froze again for me, by the time iv got in and got where im going, its thawed anyway. didnt think you were supposed to get deicer on the paint work.

i used some deicer a couple of days ago, and it froze:confused: deiced for about 30seconds then froze:rant:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
never froze again for me, by the time iv got in and got where im going, its thawed anyway. didnt think you were supposed to get deicer on the paint work.

i used some deicer a couple of days ago, and it froze:confused: deiced for about 30seconds then froze:rant:
Deicer shouldn't cause damage to the paint work, be a sod if it did !!! :eek: The quality of the Deicer is important too, some of the cheap ones aren't good for the really cold weather we have been having.

Back to the water though. Surely there will be a bit of water left in and around the lock. Come night when the temperature drops this is going to re freeze, the cycle starts all over again. :(

Anyway, that's my take on this subject and I have no wish to start an argument going, spending too much time trying to get into my frozen car !!! :D

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I am not complaining, I love the experience.

But my question is what happens to the GTV when the weather is very hot, say 25C+. What joys of Alfa ownership are waiting for me in the summer?????:thumbs:
Same as ANY Alfa! Thrashing down a "B" road (Maybe, say, the B9102) at the sort of speed rally drivers use and at which any other car will get stuck in the greenery!

You do understand that I am only speaking theoretically and I have no practical experience of this!

Honestly . . . . . . . . .

Officer!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hot water also works fine on frozen locks but alas come the end of the day your locks will be frozen again. Silicon spray is the way forward, I am definately a convert on this subject!

Keep the water away with a dose of silicon spray ... :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Deicer shouldn't cause damage to the paint work, be a sod if it did !!! :eek: The quality of the Deicer is important too, some of the cheap ones aren't good for the really cold weather we have been having.

Back to the water though. Surely there will be a bit of water left in and around the lock. Come night when the temperature drops this is going to re freeze, the cycle starts all over again. :(

Anyway, that's my take on this subject and I have no wish to start an argument going, spending too much time trying to get into my frozen car !!! :D
so i warm the kettle again, i can live with it. damn site better than my stilo was, that had the worst door handles in the world in winter. didnt need to get into the minuses and it would freeze:lol:

some can have alot of salt in and detergents, as you say, depends on make

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Ahh the summer, wish it would hurry up and arrive now!
Never had ANY issues with the old girl in the heat. Even in Italy at temps of 25+ last year.
Driving with the roof down...ahhhhh

Hurry Up Summer!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts