Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I used to use diamond brite to protect the paintword, and would like to see if anyone have tried to use ceramic coating to protect the paintwork and glass? Is it better than the diamond brite??

Is it durable? Easy to apply?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Working in an industry that uses and tests these compounds all the time I can honestly say that, in my opinion Diamond Brite is pretty crap. Pretty much any other one is better. IMO PaintSeal is the top banana at the moment

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I’ve had a go with that MR FIX9 ceramic coating and it seems pretty good and Dead easy to apply, the gloss after was exceptional.
I’m waiting for some hot days to arrive to give it another go.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've had something by auto allure on mine since Sept,still going strong. Don't think they make it now though.
If in doubt, put some fusso on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Sophie
I am interested in ceramic coating my Alfa, at the moment I use a hybrid wax/ceramic spray at the end of a good clean. Do you have any pictures so I may see the shine?
Dave

·
Registered
709 Posts
I applied jetseal to mine which easily lasts 12 months and then i apply maquires wax ontop

I bought a das pro, all the gear, pads compounds and did my 2 x brera's last summer for less than the cost of getting ceramic coating for one car!

Youll need the paint correcting/swirls and scratches polished out before you ceramic coat like i did otherwise you will seal in the scratches

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not tried the paint polishing yet, that will have to wait for summer.
Interesting that you apply the maquires wax after the coating, I normally wax then apply the maquires hybrid ceramic wax last.
But I have learnt from YouTube, so maybe fake news.
Dave

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
And you probably will need a garage or somehwere to keep the car overnight to allow the CC to cure or you can be a world of trouble.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I also struggle with garage parking although thats more to do with my wifes hoarding habit than anything else. I DA polish and then use BH Double Speed wax and top off with Gyeon Wet coat after washes and im pretty impressed with the results, I would love to ceramic coat the car to be honest but had a bad experience with the Wet Coat once with water spotting so it put me off the full blown ceramics. I have seen some pretty bad examples of ceramic coating when its gone wrong.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Be aware that some of the best of these treatments (Paintseal for instance) car only be applied to brand new cars. Once they are a bit older the dirt is already in the "grain" of the paint...so all they are doing is sealing it in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used Gyeon CanCoat on the Giulia. Used their prep polish on DA to prepare the paint then degreased prior to applying CanCoat. The biggest challenge with DIY coatings is having the weather conditions just right. Not too hot but not too cold and absolutely no moisture present at all. I don't have access to a garage so mine was done outside and I needed 48 hours of guaranteed dry weather to even think about doing it. It was done in August which meant all the applications were done very early in the morning before it got to hot. I was very impressed with how easy it is to apply and had no issues at all. Regarding water spotting to mitigate this something like Gyeon cure straight on top of the Cancoat will prevent etching. Plus Cure is a superb drying aid, great product.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Did you end up having to carry out the work over a few days? I recently DA polished my car and I had to pretty much wash/decontaminate and polish a few panels at a time over several days as I couldn’t do it all in one day and I also have no garage.
I’ve heard good reviews about Cancoat but it’s requirement for 0 moisture that worries me, there’s never much guarantee of that here 😂

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I washed and DA'd it first day, degreased/prep and 2 coats of Cancoat on second day. Third day (after 24 hours) I used a very plush drying towel to remove any dust from the surface. Then applied a coat of Cure. This was the final stage and then no wash for at least 7 days. Think there was a very small shower about 4 days after I'd put the Cure on but that's really the benefit of topping with Cure, it allows Cancoat to fully cure whilst protecting it from any moisture or contaminants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts