Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTA has a centre lap belt which I want to swap for a 3-point belt (my 2001 JTD has one but not a top of the range GTA???).

Does anyone know why Alfa "adopted" a standard reel in June 2004, was it a price consideration, reduced standard spec or safety issue?

Apparently the rear belts all look the same so what's the difference in the three rear belts, if any? Different length for the middle perhaps?

I haven't dismantled anything yet, but is there any reason why this shouldn't be possible?

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Mine is mid 2003 and has the rubbish centre lap belt.

I'm assuming the cost over how often people actually use all 3 was a deciding factor.

Never seen a 156 with anything but those rubbish lap belts!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
On a "normal" 156, you got a 3-point centre rear belt with the centre rear headrest, at the time you couldn't get it with a "Sportpack", but you could with later "Veloce" as well as lower trim.
I'm guessing the GTA doesn't have a centre rear headrest?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Centre lap-belts versus a full seat-belt retractor system in the centre.

Where car manufacturers use both types of system on the same car range, it is most likely the lap-belt is used as a cost saving exercise (about 25% of the cost for a static lap-belt). Sometimes as in the GTA the static lap-belt could be used on a higher end model if they think that its seen more as a unwanted luxury trim level (in conjunction with the extra head-rest). Only Alfa know why they spec'd it that way. Weight saving is minimal but could be an over-riding objective.

However whatever happened it would have required safety approval for both systems on the complete model range. How it was actually designated by individual models would be only known to Alfa and the test and regulation authorities. Both might be strictly legal or on one system (by Model Year if specified) it varies from car to car.

As an ex-seat belt design engineer (also responsible for type-approvals) I can only offer the following advice. What you decide to do may be acceptable but its not guaranteed. Basically if the mounting points exist in the body and the seat squab/backrest design accepts both belts, plus a centre seat-belt retractor system from the same model range can be sourced you should be OK.
edit: Centre seat belts may have a specific design for belt lengths and mounting points. You can only use a centre retractor type seat belt if one exists on another model from the same car range, as a centre belt. Using another rear passenger-side or rear driver-side belt is unlikely to fit or to be acceptable.

The head restraint is a separate issue and should not affect which type of belt is used.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My first GTA SW had a lap belt and that was a 2003 model - my current GTA SW has a 3 point centre belt - there are some very subtle interior changes to the very last made GTA's - my GTA SW is registered July 2005

Neither had a centre head rest

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using another rear passenger-side or rear driver-side belt is unlikely to fit or to be acceptable.
That was one of my concerns, one ebay vendor is stating they are all the same but the part numbers are different on ePER...so there must be some difference.

The head restraint is not a consideration as it's not there now anyway...the only other change will be cutting in the plastic belt surround on the top of the seat back.

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Know its not the same car, but on my ford, the centre belt has a different tongue and clip so only fits its own fitting.

The GTA lap belt is the same.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Know its not the same car, but on my ford, the centre belt has a different tongue and clip so only fits its own fitting.

The GTA lap belt is the same.
Its not clear to me in what way the GTA lap belt is "the same". Is it the same as your Ford or the same tongue and buckle design on all three GTA rear belts?

Its common to design the systems to prevent the wrong buckle/tongue connection as the correct buckle location on the passenger's body is important for safety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts