Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So has anyone successfully removed the Centre Badge on the Steering Wheel on a 147?

I don't know if it's just sticky with tabs or if I have to take apart the steering wheel centre cover to bend back the tabs to release it.

I've included the photos of the potential replacement.

After disconnecting the battery (AirBag Safety) fr over 30 mins (overnight as other job took a while)
I did take off the steering wheel Centre Airbag Cap with the 3 bolts underneath.
(These 3 bolts are where the centre cap section is suspended on 3 springs which are the push contacts for the horn)

Anyway the cap underneath has the Airbag unit which is heavy and the clip to undo the wiring looked fragile.

Also the plastic rubbery cap has about 7 clips attaching it to the unit so I didn't pursue it any further as I know from plenty of experience just how flimsy and breakable plastic tabs are!!
That is why I'm asking here to see if anyone has any experience and can help me out.

Many thanks in advance!
Centre Badge Steering Wheel Top.jpg
Centre Badge Steering Wheel Underneath.jpg

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,756 Posts
Reactions: Mighty-147

·
Registered
77 Posts
Badge could end up being lethal shrapnel if the airbag goes off. You want to make very sure replacement is attached correctly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you replacing it because it is worn / damaged? The badge is part of the airbag unit and I do not think it removable. I fitted a new badge on mine but that just covers the old badge and is stuck on.

Like these; 1pc 40mm Alfa Romeo Steering Wheel Emblem Badge ALFA ROMEO Brera 147 156 159 166 | eBay
Thanks.
Yes it’s damaged unfortunately.
Bothering me as right under my nose.
So you stuck one on top?
I’d rather replace it but it could be a hassle to do that.
Wish I could know if it’s able to be pulled out without taking the airbag cover off.
Maybe those tabs are bent inwards 90° when it’s installed..
I guess for safety reasons that’d make sense.
In which case that cover may have to be carefully removed without breaking the tabs inside.
They’re flexible but it’d be a pain if one snaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts