Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone might be able to help on this one on my 166, the fuse for the central locking in the fuse panel under the steering wheel blew yesterday, and appears to have a short of some sort, as it has 12v across it all the time! I disconnected all the doors in case it was a faulty locking unit in the door but to no avail, still registering 12v across the fuse holder, bummer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
If you are puting your voltmeter across the fuse holder it will of course read 12 volts.The 12 V supply and virtual earth thro the components.Try the black lead on the voltmeter to a good earth and check the 2 ends of fuse holder.Did you try another fuse to see if it blows. Or put your voltmeter into amp mode and bridge out fuse to see waht current flows thro the meter.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Pomeo said:
If you are puting your voltmeter across the fuse holder it will of course read 12 volts.The 12 V supply and virtual earth thro the components.Try the black lead on the voltmeter to a good earth and check the 2 ends of fuse holder.Did you try another fuse to see if it blows. Or put your voltmeter into amp mode and bridge out fuse to see waht current flows thro the meter.

Only try shorting the connection if the expected current is below that of the rating of your multimeter. (I have a cheap one with an unfused setting of up to 10A)

You will see a pulse when you plip the locking (or a flash of light & lots of burning :D)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
HowardA said:
Only try shorting the connection if the expected current is below that of the rating of your multimeter. (I have a cheap one with an unfused setting of up to 10A)

You will see a pulse when you plip the locking (or a flash of light & lots of burning :D)

You are 100 pc correct...Sorry I should have said use a large fused amperage setting on the ammeter around the range of the fused fuse. My electical skills are getting very rusty due to lack of use.Silly me put a charge battery across the 2 terminals under the bonnet to open the boot when I had removed the battery . The first time I put neg on chassis 12v on any of the 2 terminals and bootopens with key. In a rush stuck voltage across 2 terminals and blew 125A in the boot....So lucky no damage after fuse replaced.Hardly a spark and the fuse blew..No wonder.

My apologies for the misleading info.

Thanks HowardA

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Would have been puzzled myself.

I bought the multimeter to investigate the wife's punto. Talked to the garage first, and asked them what sort of values to expect & they warned me about using multimeter in A mode :D

Found out why the battery had been discharging tho' - the same garage had left the boot visually closed but not shut - the light was running the battery flat overnight :D

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Yes Howard electrics are fickle things. When I think of what I have put my 2.5 through I have been so lucky not to have problems.
Have you seen Steviebhoys post about leaving an internal light on in his car....Appears a saga.Ive driven with a dodgy battery for a year.When it initialy posed problems I asked a chap for a jump off his car .He refused.I was puzzled. He said he had done this before and had to get an ecu replaced. Now don't use jump leads except at home (as you need another car)..Purchased a stand alone 400A booster with inflator and light for £20 from Maplins.Eventually I'll need to invest in a new battery.This in and out the boot is embarrassing.

P

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i was amazed at how big the 166 battery is....pretty sure mine is the original and it's a whopping 100Ah one - weighs a ton! Bigger than the leisure battery i've got on the boat....

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
niallmoran said:
i was amazed at how big the 166 battery is....pretty sure mine is the original and it's a whopping 100Ah one - weighs a ton! Bigger than the leisure battery i've got on the boat....
You are bang on Niall...Its MASSIVE....When I first had battery problems I put the battery from my Rover 827 in it...The Alfa just "melted " it. Phoned around and got a quote of £40 from Brown Bros...I asked for a look at it and it was about half the size of the rover batter which ws 2/3 the size of the Alfa's original...Still 2 years later using it..I use a cheap booster to start from cold and its fine..

Anyone know of a good replacement for the original?

P

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
niallmoran said:
The battery in the boot of the 3 litre sportronic is much smaller than the battery in the 2.5 manual....I thought automatic transmission cars had batteries with a larger capacity.

Is it only the V6 that has the battery in the boot?:vomit:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
nah - they're all there. My '99 TS had a reasonable sized unipart battery which seemed good...nowhere near as big as the 100Ah monster in the '02 twinnie i've got now! To be honest, i think it's way over the top - especially for a wee 4 cylinder engine...can't imagine the 156/147 etc have 100Ah batteries!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
marktodd said:
Hoping someone might be able to help on this one on my 166, the fuse for the central locking in the fuse panel under the steering wheel blew yesterday, and appears to have a short of some sort, as it has 12v across it all the time! I disconnected all the doors in case it was a faulty locking unit in the door but to no avail, still registering 12v across the fuse holder, bummer. Any ideas?
Have you had any joy yet mark?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry not updated as not had a chance to look at car in the last week. Did today and funny ole thing, no prob! Good ole Alfa's!
On the battery front, I have a 130ah in mine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have had a 2001 166 2.0 TS for a little over a year now and also just had recent battery problems, constantly needed recharging or a jump start to get going. A brand new battery replacement from Halfords (half the size of the original one) was drained within two days of being put in. Halfords were happy to refund this as they assumed they sold me a dud, and I recharged the old heavy weight battery to get me to my local dealer who put the fault down to electrical problems. They still replaced the big old battery (as it was now knackered) with another new Alfa one also half the size and apart from the Alfa sticker looked identical to the one from Halfords. Only been in the car a week now, but seems to be OK and the dealer was confident it would be sufficient.

Pomeo, I don’t know about the bigger 3.0 V6’s but I think next time I need to get my battery replaced (unless anyone posts to advise differently) I’ll go back to Halfords as their so much cheaper. However of the two available for the 166 I would still get the slightly bigger one with the 5 yr guarantee.

PS. Mines located in the boot as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Getting back onto central locking problems, my key fob needs to be pointed near (very near) to the rear of the car to work. I changed the battery in the key a couple of times and this makes very little difference. Anyone else come across this problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry not updated as not had a chance to look at car in the last week. Did today and funny ole thing, no prob! Good ole Alfa's!
On the battery front, I have a 130ah in mine!
Mark, did you sort out the blown central locking 15A fuse? Mine has blown twice (worked two or three times after inserting 2nd fuse then blew again). If so what is the secret here?:confused:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was the 25A fuse that blew, well thats what should be in there. But no I didn't get to the bottom of the prob, just gone away, possible moisture problems, as when it happened I was in Austria, and the car had been sat for 2 weeks in the cold and snow. It was once we'd left for the journey home, stopped for fuel and locked the car, but alarm sounded but didn't lock, so checked fuses and found the 25A one blown, replaced it, but it blew as I put it in, same story when I got home, so a week later went to have a proper rummage around and found it was OK again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It was the 25A fuse that blew, well thats what should be in there. But no I didn't get to the bottom of the prob, just gone away, possible moisture problems, as when it happened I was in Austria, and the car had been sat for 2 weeks in the cold and snow. It was once we'd left for the journey home, stopped for fuel and locked the car, but alarm sounded but didn't lock, so checked fuses and found the 25A one blown, replaced it, but it blew as I put it in, same story when I got home, so a week later went to have a proper rummage around and found it was OK again!
Okay, cool, so we are not talking about the fuse slot in the box under the steering wheel to the right... are we? If not where does the 25A go, is it somewhere different. If you ARE talking about the "central lock" fuse slot under the steering wheel, mine had a 15A in there (since I had vehicle). Should it be 25A in the 15A slot or is the 25A somewhere else on the vehicle I need to check?:confused:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Thnks for the clue mark..:tut: :tut: :tut:

..You should be on the telly with Una Stubbs n Lionel Blair.:rolleyes:

Clue....I dont know why the plane crashed.....Perhaps it was the mountain.:lol: :lol: :lol: ,

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Mark

how did you get on driving the RHD abroad.

Or is it LHD and you drive it here.(Assuming your UK).

The central locking is afickle thing at times.

Pomeo

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay, seems like I am becoming a bit of a "granny" when it comnes to basic checks (laziness)....went to the handbook and it says I should have a 25A not 15A. I wonder if this is the problem. Anyway plugged in a 25A fuse, central lock works but i will leave it for a day or two and see if it "mends itself" as Mark said...hoping now (wonder if it blew with the previous keeper as I don't see why there was a 15A fuse in the slot when it should be 25A?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts