Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 146 and have some issues with C/L. When the temperatures get very cold (say below 0 C) the C/L has a life of its own. When I try to unlock the car the C/L unlocks and locks repeatedly some six or seven times. I have to open the door in an exact moment when it is unlocked. Again, it only happens when cold, otherwise is works perfectly fine.

Anyone had similar problem or has an idea why it happens.

Thanxx

·
Registered
674 Posts
There's been plenty of discussion on this topic so do a search and you'll see a bunch of threads.

But 99% of the time the problem is with the humidity in the lock and it's mechanisms that freeze and make it hard to operate.

When it unlocks and locks again it is because one of the locks is not unlocking properly that's why it bounces back off.

As a temp. solution try a quality lock defreezer/lubricator.

But I highly recommend that you get a quality spray grease with a good temperature rating (I use Permatex Ultra Slick -40C -177C). Open the door panels up and lubricate all lock mechanism pivots and linkages including the inside door handle and locking button.

If they are not all well lubricated and you continue to force it to open the linkages will bend and you'll have much bigger problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pujazuba. I found some topics dealing with similar issues.

First of all I'll try using some WD40 with the locks and see if it helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi alex when it was really bad here i was putting de icer in my locks the night before & that stopped it freezing up for me then used some copper grease & i've found that worked for me it's a real pain when it happens

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replied to this on another post about lubing up all the parts.

I still think also the central locking electric motor has some issues when cold, so if you
can get to it, perhaps you can lube this up too. I never got round to inspecting the motor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mine's all lubed up..and today has been cold so it's still bouncing back when I try to unlock with the remote.

As long as it's not completely rock solid and can't be turned with the key you shouldn't worry too much! It happened to me when it was almost -10C. At one point I got it open, but couldn't close it haha!

Having a busted thermostat doesn't help either. At least if your car heats up everytime you use it, all these lock mechanisms get to melt a little.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My issue with this turned out to be the bolt holding the +ve terminal onto the starter motor was loose.

This connection carries the starting current, so my battery was flat. Fixed that, charged the battery, then all was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts