Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Coming back from Brussels this sunday my left rear door no longer reacts on the central locking system :cry: .
I may add that I rarely use the door at all :confused: .

I tested the central door locking system with my key and from the button on the center console. The central locking system can only unlock/lock the reamining three doors.

I tried to manually open the door, thinking it could be some sort of physical issue with the mechanism. But that did not help.
When the door is unlocked is does not even lock when the central locking is engaged.
This in my opinion indicates a fault on the electronics in the door.
However on thing I noticed is that the locking nob (the thing in the door pointing out of the door) seems to go further down into the door than the ones in the other doors.

Anybody got some ideas ?
Anybody got experience in taking the door apart :) ?

Regards.
Morten

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Well I have heard it said that lubricating with WD40 can cure these problems. Mind you it didn't work for me, I had the motor changed. Total was about £100 if I remeber correctly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try to unplug and refit a few times the connector from the door to B pillar (check the pins) - sorted my problem in one case, in other case I had to change the whole lock (75€) on other side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Mitch166. After all this rain we have been having the last few days my central locking has been locking and unlocking by its self. I saw your old thread about using WD40 to cure it.

I sprayed loads of it down the holes that the black plastic pop-up pin comes up through, then I sprayed a realy good "mist" of WD40 down between the glass of each window and the inside rubber seals close to the locks. I waited a few minutes and now the central locking works great with the key and the remote!

Thanks mate, that's a £3.99 cure! :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I've just got my 166 3.0 litre Super. The seller did tell me about the problem. The passenger rear door doesn't always lock (ie button doesn't always go down). If you push it down, then lock the car with the remote and then unlock the car, it comes up. You have to then hope it goes down the next time you lock it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't!

Do you reckon this is the lock button striker motor in that particular door that is faulty, in need of a WD40 squirt or something else? Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Unkle, why not try the WD40 first before you look at the lock motor?

It did work for me - I may have been lucky - or perhaps thats all that is needed? Remember I waited for a few minutes (to let it penetrate) before I tried the central locking again.

"Good Luck"

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
is there a fuse we can pull to disable the central locking? I don't won't to tear the front door apart just to unplug the door lock and then have to do it all again when i get hold of a new motor....

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Central locking control module fed from 25A fuse F19 in the main fuse unit, under the dash, to the right of the steering column. :)

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Not a bad site, thanks Tony (The bit about turning the brake piston clockwise will save me grief!) :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hi Unkle, why not try the WD40 first before you look at the lock motor?

It did work for me - I may have been lucky - or perhaps thats all that is needed? Remember I waited for a few minutes (to let it penetrate) before I tried the central locking again.

"Good Luck"
Tried that mate and no joy. Luckily the car came with a three month warranty. My mechanic looked over the car and discovered it needed an O/S steering rack gaitor and rack to track rod link. They are going to do all the work on the warranty. It has a Powerflo stainless exhaust from the Cat back which is also covered at a Powerflo exhaust dealer. All sounds too good to be true at the moment as we found no other faults on the car....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts