Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some drivers (mostly old t**ts in trilby hats) think that the only lane on a motorway is the one in the middle. I've given up waiting behind them for a gap on the outside and now just go past on the inside.

If they don't like it, MOVE OVER.

(nothing against older drivers (like me) just bad ones)

N

·
0 Posts
Belgians are major middle lane hoggers. :mad: :p

Overtaking on the inside in the UK is illegal, dangerous and
potentially is opening yourself up for a world of trouble though.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Middle Laners, my worst pet hate. I have learned to control my anger over it now though :lol:

These very stupid people are either ignorant or not aware and perhaps both, they are I believe quite dangerous when behind the wheel for this reason.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts

Overtaking on the inside is illegal, but passing isn't in certain circumstances. There are two obvious ones, and at least one debatable one.

K

·
0 Posts
trouble is it's how they were taught to use motorways back in the day,

left lane for slow moving, joining/leaving the motorway
middle lane for "cruising" :rolleyes:
right lane for overtaking.

that's how it was when elderly drivers passed there test, and it does seem to be elderly drivers mostly, but not exclusively.

i tend to go round them then make sure they notice me move across all 3 lanes back to the inside lane :D

another pet hate, people driving around with side lights only in thick fog :rant:

i know there are folks that also don't even bother to switch lights on at all, but by switching to sidelights you've made a concious decision to turn them on, why not turn them on properly :confused:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
that's how it was when elderly drivers passed there test, and it does seem to be elderly drivers mostly, but not exclusively.

i tend to go round them then make sure they notice me move across all 3 lanes back to the inside lane :D
This "elderly" :eek: driver does this too, if its safe to do so....sadly it rarely works.....and in relatively busy traffic it often isn't possible.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Sadly my uncle will do this, his response "I'm doing 70 and they shouldn't be going any quicker". He's 80 !

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Middle_Lane'ing is getting the norm now... I liked Clarkson's comment a few years back: "Middle-Lane Hoggers should be machine gunned!!" .... just wondering if that would be before or after last week's public sector strikers :lol::lol:

I had a classic last week on the M25 coming back from Gatwick at about 11pm....Lanes 1 and 2 totally empty and some Numpty in a 206 doing 50-60mph odd in the outside - FFFFKKKKK MEEEEEEEEEE. They should be issued with "POND LIFE - ON BOARD" stickers and then Machine Guneddddddd !!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
trouble is it's how they were taught to use motorways back in the day,

left lane for slow moving, joining/leaving the motorway
middle lane for "cruising" :rolleyes:
right lane for overtaking.

Being 65 probably makes me elderly on this forum and I certainly wasn't taught that.

·
Registered
11,449 Posts

Whilst living in Italy in the early 90s I was warned to beware cars with Belgian plates as drivers in Belgium were not required to pass a test until 1977 - :eek::eek::eek:

(apparently, amazingly this is true:lol::wow::eek: )

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
Why do some drivers (mostly old t**ts in trilby hats) think that the only lane on a motorway is the one in the middle. I've given up waiting behind them for a gap on the outside and now just go past on the inside.

If they don't like it, MOVE OVER.

(nothing against older drivers (like me) just bad ones)
Worse still are overtaking-lane hoggers, who doing 70, refuse to move over even for 10 seconds until the horizon is clear:tut::rant::rant::rant:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
nearly everytime i am on my way home from work, the duelcarrageway is empty with one car sitting in the slow lane, nothing wrong with that, but then why O' WHY do they insist on moving over to the fast lane when im about to overtake them! stupid Kn**s! ill sit there and flash them to move, sat at 60mph, i hate it! then they just pull back into the slow lane an stair at me when i go past!
must think, ooooh, heres a sexy car, i wanna see it for a bit longer! haha

K

·
0 Posts
Not illegal. Undertaking ceased to be an offence about 40 years ago.

All the best

Keith
is that right? not that i'm doubting you, but would be great if that is correct as i've doen that before on motorways and ben worried about getting knicked. once had to go to the inside lane on a dual carriegway as a woman insisted on 50mph being plenty fast enough thank you, in the outside lane, in the middle of nowhere :rant:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dunno about middle laners, had some prat that wouldn't move out of the outside lane on the way down the m1 today after picking up my gt. wouldn't move out of the way for anything, wish the police would do something about it, guy will definitely cause congestion due to his selfish ways or quite possibly an accident as a result of causing other drivers frustration .. Unbelievable, someone please vote clarkson in as pm

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
is that right? not that i'm doubting you, but would be great if that is correct as i've doen that before on motorways and ben worried about getting knicked. once had to go to the inside lane on a dual carriegway as a woman insisted on 50mph being plenty fast enough thank you, in the outside lane, in the middle of nowhere :rant:
From the highway code rule 163. Generally you should overtake on the right.
Is a middle lane hogger in a queue or are they causing a queue?

L

·
0 Posts
Basically if you were to approach the said twot hogging the middle lane if you were to move left pass and move back out this would be undertaking and mr plod wont like that, but if you move left and pass and stay left before moving back out this would be in theory ok.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts