Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the reason why I've finally decided to make this post is the orange "Bright Top Ups" advert with the different toy things celebrating in their own ways because of their prizes for topping up. Well, I haven't go a clue why but they've changed the laugh of the russian doll shape guy with the mustache at the start of the advert. It used to be a nose(y) laugh and now it's just a plain lower pitch laugh. If you haven't seen it or noticed then it went from this to this.

There's nothing though right? Well yes but why? Why change the laugh? I don't get it. Anyway that led me onto other things and I've been thinking of more things being changed unnecessarily which led on to examples of censorship that has gone too far.

First up is another advert. The new lotus thirst pockets advert where the elephant comes and sucks up the spilt food but then doesn't get to the 2nd time because of the thirst pockets being so good. To get it's own back the elephants kicks their wheelie bin flying as it walks off, funny little ending snuck in which I found funny. This one. I'm pretty sure now that in the day the advert is slightly different because it has had the bin kick cut off the end. I now only see that bit when watching tv at night. Is an elephant kicking a bin only suitable for viewing post-watershed?

Now for the radio edit music. I've thought for a long time that it was quite stupid some of the things they censor. I can understand swearing and explicit lyrics but sometimes...

Eminem - Sing for the moment:
Some people may find this arguable but I really don't see it as being that bad.
Lyrics - "They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a gun for you and **** it too?"
Edit - "They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a *** for you and **** it too?"

Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On:
Lyrics - "We got the radio shook like we got a gun"
Edit - "We got the radio shook like we got a ***"
Again with the getting rid of gun. I can't even put what i actually want to say into words but basically I think it's stupid and the context it's in increases that.

Now for the final one and this really takes the Michael.
Eminem - We Made You
Lyrics - "He does not mean to lesbian offend"
Edit - "He does not mean to ******* offend"
Are they being serious? Censoring the word lesbian? Unless I'm seeing it completely wrong it's not derogatory at all so why censor it? I find it more offensive that it has been censored.

There will be loads more examples if I keep thinking and then there's the adverts that get banned completely but I won't mention them as the reasons for them being banned can sometimes be a bit iffy.

P.S. My first rant thread :)

N

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm.

The UK is one of the most censorial democracies on the planet.
If not the worst. :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
From a different perspective, I really don't like hearing any song (on the radio) with or without the intended profanity or vulgarity (and I mean proper unpleasantries - not the word "Lesbian" for example)

If you live in the ghetto and feel a pressing need to swear to music then that's all good, but the British Broadcasting Corporation should not be playing it at all. Simply blanking out the sound for a split second doesn't hide the intended lyric to anyone with half a brain.
For many of these 'artists', loosing all their airtime and royalties would be an incentive to pick up a dictionary and seek an alternative to **** or **** for use in their 'songs'

So, I sort of agree - less censorship of most things, and a total ban of others.

Oh - and here's my 2p!

S

·
0 Posts
I tend not to listen to a lot of modern music, especially r and/or b gangsters rap, but it is annoying when you are listening to the radio and all you hear is:

" a ... ... i ..... will .... ..... a ...... " because every other word has been censored.

2FM (RTE) seem quite good at playing uncensored songs :thumbs:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Is the station Radio One by any chance?
They seem to blank out full words like gun or any drug/sex/violence reference, but when it comes to swearing they only clip a bit of the word out so you still get the major sounds. For instance you get the s and t or the f and k, which still sounds like the whole word unless you're really paying attention to it.

Ricer, they're all words in common usage. Walk down a street (not necessarily a rough area), listen to people talking and you're bound to hear several people swear. The fact that some people get offended by letters arranged in a certain order is silliness on their part, and if no one was offended by them swearing wouldn't exist.

S

·
0 Posts
Is the station Radio One by any chance?
They seem to blank out full words like gun or any drug/sex/violence reference, but when it comes to swearing they only clip a bit of the word out so you still get the major sounds. For instance you get the s and t or the f and k, which still sounds like the whole word unless you're really paying attention to it.
Yes that bint Fern Cotton and they censor part of the word so it sounds like someone hiccuping

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ricer, they're all words in common usage. Walk down a street (not necessarily a rough area), listen to people talking and you're bound to hear several people swear. The fact that some people get offended by letters arranged in a certain order is silliness on their part . . . . .
Are you saying that people who get offended by swearing are silly?

Because it's all about context. I'm a grown man and I swear plenty, but I don't want to hear it on a radio, or in many other situations - at a funeral, in the post office, from or to my wife etc. If that makes me silly, then so be it.

N

·
0 Posts
Nowt wrong with '4!

In fact '4 &' 5 are about the only radio I listen to any more.

If I want music I download it and play it on the PC or iPod. ;)

Hate the blanking.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,995 Posts
Ex-****ing-actly! It's a bit ****in rich to be ****in talkin about censorship when the *******in forums are censored to ****.
Nothing stopping you starting your own forum where anything is allowed.

Why not give it a go?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I think in the case of true profanities within songs on the radio they should not be blanked but replaced by non threatening words such as 'fumble' or 'wallaby' or 'whoopsy' said in the style of the chipmunks or a 1930's British radio announcer.

:thumbs:

If terms such as lesbians are a problem maybe we should differentiate from the vulgar to the slightly obscure say:
lesbian = dyke = dam
somebody who is into lesbians = dutch boy
:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts