Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Valentines Day :biglaugh:

No - I am not ranting about them, I am ranting about the joyless, miserable, mirth-restricted, tight fisted, cheerless :censored: who always go on about how these are never celebrated by them as they are a waste of time and money.

These stone-hearted tight-wads then go on to point out, shock horror, that these are events created by the gift and card industries!!! Really?!? Are you sure?!?! - No s41t -Sherlock!?!? We genuinely thought these were part of the official annual calendar of the Abrahamic religions... :irked:

The fact that those of us who celebrate them, buy a card or two, make a fuss of the recipient, join in, smile and enjoy it then get portrayed as gormless suckers who have "fallen for" this trick unlike those wise-old foxes who have "seen through" it all is even more infuriating. :furious::furious:

We do know these are fabricated events. We do realize that it's a money maker for others, and we do know that we can - amazing as it seems - be nice to our wives/mums/dads/kids etc on the other 364 days of the year too and don't need a day set aside to do so. :irked:

We don't need the parsimonious lectures, the statements-of-the-bleeding-obvious or the intimations that we were born yesterday ta very-f'ing-much.

Take your waxy, pea-sized hearts elsewhere and let us who have some shreds of life-loving humanity in us do our bit.

And by the way - regardless of what they say to your faces - your other halves/parents DO care, they DO mind, and they ARE just being nice when they smile thinly at you and say "it doesn't matter to me either" when you blank the whole event. :furious:

What they really think is how they will feel like little salted snails when they have to admit to their friends that "No, Nobby didn't get me a valentines/mothers day/fathers day card" because he doesn't believe in it....... as they roll their eyes and look enviously at the flowers/card/beer that someone else got.

Spend a couple of quid and try to revive your still-lightly-fluttering heart & soul. You'll feel better about yourselves and everyone else around you can stop pretending it's ok.

:furious:

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Like Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Valentines Day :biglaugh:

No - I am not ranting about them, I am ranting about the joyless, miserable, mirth-restricted, tight fisted, cheerless :censored: who always go on about how these are never celebrated by them as they are a waste of time and money.

These stone-hearted tight-wads then go on to point out, shock horror, that these are events created by the gift and card industries!!! Really?!? Are you sure?!?! - No s41t -Sherlock!?!? We genuinely thought these were part of the official annual calendar of the Abrahamic religions... :irked:

The fact that those of us who celebrate them, buy a card or two, make a fuss of the recipient, join in, smile and enjoy it then get portrayed as gormless suckers who have "fallen for" this trick unlike those wise-old foxes who have "seen through" it all is even more infuriating. :furious::furious:

We do know these are fabricated events. We do realize that it's a money maker for others, and we do know that we can - amazing as it seems - be nice to our wives/mums/dads/kids etc on the other 364 days of the year too and don't need a day set aside to do so. :irked:

We don't need the parsimonious lectures, the statements-of-the-bleeding-obvious or the intimations that we were born yesterday ta very-f'ing-much.

Take your waxy, pea-sized hearts elsewhere and let us who have some shreds of life-loving humanity in us do our bit.

And by the way - regardless of what they say to your faces - your other halves/parents DO care, they DO mind, and they ARE just being nice when they smile thinly at you and say "it doesn't matter to me either" when you blank the whole event. :furious:

What they really think is how they will feel like little salted snails when they have to admit to their friends that "No, Nobby didn't get me a valentines/mothers day/fathers day card" because he doesn't believe in it....... as they roll their eyes and look enviously at the flowers/card/beer that someone else got.

Spend a couple of quid and try to revive your still-lightly-fluttering heart & soul. You'll feel better about yourselves and everyone else around you can stop pretending it's ok.

:furious:
This message was brought to you by florists/cards/anyothertatRus.com :xmas::jester:

Good rant, Happy Fathers' Day :beer: :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
@Fred

Well said that man. We can repeat that rant several times a year:vs_clap:

Anyone in mind for stoking your furnace?

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
Amen to that. So what if card makers and sellers make a couple of quid off you. It seems a small price to pay to put a smile on someone's face.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Amen to that. So what if card makers and sellers make a couple of quid off you. It seems a small price to pay to put a smile on someone's face.
I wouldn't go that far:lol:

I'm a crusty old git but if I don't get my Father's Day card, or a birthday card on time the teddy is out of the cot.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Why do you need a fake celebration day as an excuse to put a smile on someone's face ...? :confused:

Hope you all remembered Administrative Assistant's Day ....

:p

·
Registered
15,849 Posts
Why do you need a fake celebration day as an excuse to put a smile on someone's face ...? :confused:

Hope you all remembered Administrative Assistant's Day ....

:p
You're absolutely right. I got two cards this year, I shall return them and advise my children not to be such mugs in future. I shall also return the gifts and instruct them to give them back to me next week when the exploitation has ended.

How would that be?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of tots of my Southern Comfort, I've spent my Amazon voucher on a book I've had my eye on for a few months. I'm a happy bunny.

That's what's it all about, making someone that little bit happier after being the bread winner, bouncer, banker, taxi, advisor and provider of refuge when needed. All without much of a grump (well most of the time):biglaugh:

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
I have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of tots of my Southern Comfort, I've spent my Amazon voucher on a book I've had my eye on for a few months. I'm a happy bunny.

That's what's it all about, making someone that little bit happier after being the bread winner, bouncer, banker, taxi, advisor and provider of refuge when needed. All without much of a grump (well most of the time):biglaugh:
Back in the dark ages the uni bars would have "promotions" on booze they'd managed to source cheaply. One such occasion featured Southern Comfort which they were offering for 50p a shot. I lost £10, my memory, my stomach, and any desire to drink the stuff again.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Used to sup SC as a teenager. With orange juice
sometimes.

Had some the other week in a local bar.

Vile. How the hell did I ever drink it ?!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Back in the dark ages the uni bars would have "promotions" on booze they'd managed to source cheaply. One such occasion featured Southern Comfort which they were offering for 50p a shot. I lost £10, my memory, my stomach, and any desire to drink the stuff again.
I put away a full litre bottle in a day some years ago and paid heavily for it. I didn't drink it for years preferring tequila.

I alternate between the two now, but only get it as a gift, very rarely, if ever buy it myself.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As said, I've never needed a special day to tell me what to do with respect to family etc
You do realise it's "as well as" and not "instead of" though, right?

Those of us who celebrate it don't then roundly ignore our partners/parents for the rest of the year. It's a nice thing to observe isn't it?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is me and Jack Daniels.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
You do realise it's "as well as" and not "instead of" though, right?

Those of us who celebrate it don't then roundly ignore our partners/parents for the rest of the year. It's a nice thing to observe isn't it?

I've just had one of those nice afternoons round a mates
where one couple looked at me like I was scum* when I told
them I didn't have kids. So Meh.

This is the rant room, yes?

:p:p:p

* A very common French-couple response in these situations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts