Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up this morning. Was very lumpy and what sounded like a misfire. After about 500m the CEL and Start stop inactive light came on. Drove very slowly until dropped daughter off about 1 mile later. Started up again and the misfire was gone but CEL stayed. Tried turning on off a number of times. Drove on to work. Once there got my OBD reader and turned car back on CEL gone. Read codes two had been logged one was P0363 (Misfire Detected) and the other was P1063 (Inactive Coolant Temperature Sensor). Will head along to dealer but thought I would see if anyone had experienced this and how resolved.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Started up this morning. Was very lumpy and what sounded like a misfire. After about 500m the CEL and Start stop inactive light came on. Drove very slowly until dropped daughter off about 1 mile later. Started up again and the misfire was gone but CEL stayed. Tried turning on off a number of times. Drove on to work. Once there got my OBD reader and turned car back on CEL gone. Read codes two had been logged one was P0363 (Misfire Detected) and the other was P1063 (Inactive Coolant Temperature Sensor). Will head along to dealer but thought I would see if anyone had experienced this and how resolved.
I've experienced the misfire code (twice now). Not the other one. Will be interested to hear what the dealer says though as I've not taken mine in yet to have it looked at (I really should as the warranty runs out in March)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Was the CEL flashing? If so it is an indication that the fuelling is being cut off to protect the Catalytic converter. Sound like there was generic misfire detected code set and the fuel was cut off to affected cylinder(s). Surprised there were no individual misfire codes relating to a specific cylinder(s). For Fiat/Alfa engines P1063 I think relates to the solenoid actuator on cylinder 3 sticking, this is part of the Multiair 2 system. The intake valves are operated (open and close) by electro-hydraulic actuators fed by the engine oil system. It might be that Cylinder 3 is what misfired due to a sticking intake Solenoid which in turn set P0363. I have read a few other instances on Giuliaforums of misfire and it mostly seems to be Cylinder 3. Cylinders are numbered 1 to 4 from front to back of car, horizontal cylinder layout. Not sure why the OBD reader said Coolant sensor. If you have MES try checking the ECU module with that.

I had P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire detected - not P0363 as in your case) once soon after 3rd service after an oil change when the dealer put in Castrol 0w-30 that does not meet Fiat 9.55535 GS1 spec. It was after a cold start first thing in the morning. I did not have a CEL at all but a code was stored which relates to Cylinder 3. After leaving the car 5 mins and restarting the engine ran fine. So I suspected it was oil circulation issue after I had dealer check coils, fuelling, spark plugs and no issue were found. Made them change to the correct Selenia 0w 30 C2 Digitek PE oil and no more misfires. Just happened the once.

Today was especially cold in the morning. It could be the oil even though 0w-30 should be good enough at the slightly sub zero temperatures, especially if you started the engine straight after switching ignition on. I think it is good practice to switch ignition on and always wait 10 seconds for the various electronics to do their 'thing' before starting the engine.

How old is your oil and what oil is in there?

Some info:

·
Registered
809 Posts
and Start stop inactive light came on
just in case check battery voltage (steady and while charging), and with MES what is current charge level estimated by IBS/BCM.

A few days ago my friend experienced alternator failure (no lack of charging light on or warning the dash!), battery started discharging, he got S&S warning, driven more, finally coudl not start the engine and car was towed to dealer. Currently is being repaired. Giulia 2016 one of first (manual gearbox), with 45kkm on the clock.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Literally just changed oil Friday last week at main dealer service. I will check invoice for type of oil. But seriously hope they use the right specification. It seems to have disappeared now so going to leave it for a few days and see if it reoccurs. Not ideal if engine cant cope with -3c so will definitely take into the dealer though.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thanks. Literally just changed oil Friday last week at main dealer service. I will check invoice for type of oil. But seriously hope they use the right specification. It seems to have disappeared now so going to leave it for a few days and see if it reoccurs. Not ideal if engine cant cope with -3c so will definitely take into the dealer though.
Start stop not available message is an expected consequence of CEL. There are very few oils that meet the Fiat GS1 spec for 0w-30 C2 apart from Selenia Digitek PE. If they have filled anything else then it should be flushed out clean and refilled with new oil and filter. Was the CEL flashing rather than lit??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They put 5 litres of Selenia 0w30 so that looks ok. Was an Alfa service centre so would have been surprised if not. The check engine light flashed at first then went solid. On Subsequent start ups stayed solid. Just read the codes in MES and P0303 which is Cylinder 3 ignition failure was present listed as intermittent. Had a bit more detail on P1063 as well, it is listed as Uniair actuation electrovalve signal cylinder 3. Car was starting and driving fine with no misfire so have cleared the codes as has not reoccurred since yesterday morning. Will take down to dealer next week to see if they can find a cause.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
They put 5 litres of Selenia 0w30 so that looks ok. Was an Alfa service centre so would have been surprised if not. The check engine light flashed at first then went solid. On Subsequent start ups stayed solid. Just read the codes in MES and P0303 which is Cylinder 3 ignition failure was present listed as intermittent. Had a bit more detail on P1063 as well, it is listed as Uniair actuation electrovalve signal cylinder 3. Car was starting and driving fine with no misfire so have cleared the codes as has not reoccurred since yesterday morning. Will take down to dealer next week to see if they can find a cause.
It was an Alfa service centre that used non approved Castrol in my car till I pointed out it is the wrong oil. They did not know! If it is Selenia then ok.
P0303 is exactly the same code as I had. P1063 is related to the same cylinder. Uniair actaution is the Multiair 2 module actuator. I am trying to understand why all the examples I have read are to do with Cylinder 3 which in fact is the 3rd one down from the front of the engine so not the first in terms of oil feed to the cylinder head or the last. If there was an oil feed or pressure issue I would have thought it would occur on either Cylinder 1 (left end of picture) or 4.
I had the misfire just once and nothing in the last 2.5k miles. Best not to clear all errors in MES just so that the dealer can look themselves.

oil.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts