Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Took a very deep breath this morning and decided to strip my CDA, on my 10v JTD and give it a good clean (Gulp!!!:eek: )

Turns out it was well easy (and well SH****D Up as well!),

Dismantled all the intake pipes, removed MAF, and dropped it down past intercooler pipes and got out from below.
Removed filter from Carbon case and soaked in cleaning solution for 10mins, then washed thoroughly in warm water, left it to dry naturally (about half hour), Re-oiled sparingly, left to soak for 10 mins, then refit into Case and rebuilt all pipework minus the MAF.
Started her up and let her idle for 10 mins or so, occasionally blipping throttle, to ensure excess oil is blasted away.
Refit MAF and that was it, took her for a test drive and super responsive again with lovely Whooshing sountrack:inlove:

good for another year now, excellent!;)

·
Premium Member
45,022 Posts
Thanks for that, I'll subscribe to this one and keep it for winter when mines due a cleaning :D

P

·
0 Posts
Nice.. want to do that myself. What Cleaning Solution did you use? homemade stuff?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I'll subscribe to this one and keep it for winter when mines due a cleaning :D
Just to bear in mind mate, the element has to dry "naturally" and in winter, that may take a while, thats why i did mine now,and waited for a nice sunny day:D

Good luck anyway buddy;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice.. want to do that myself. What Cleaning Solution did you use? homemade stuff?

Hi Peter,

I used the BMC Official cleaning kit which i got from [email protected],It has a bottle of cleaning solution and a aerosol spray for the filter oil.
I would`nt risk using a "home made" cleaning solution as it may damage the element, best to play it safe!

·
Premium Member
45,022 Posts
Just to bear in mind mate, the element has to dry "naturally" and in winter, that may take a while, thats why i did mine now,and waited for a nice sunny day:D

Good luck anyway buddy;)
Ah right, well I'll probably give it a go before the end of summer then. I didn't expect there to be much gunk in it, I'm quite suprised at that.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Peter,

I used the BMC Official cleaning kit which i got from [email protected],It has a bottle of cleaning solution and a aerosol spray for the filter oil.
I would`nt risk using a "home made" cleaning solution as it may damage the element, best to play it safe!
Is it a Cotton-Gauze element?

You will notice a company like K&N clearly states you have to use their solution, or they void the guarantee on the element. At the same time they advertise their own solution as being suitable for most re-usable Cotton filters.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference (performance)between a CDA and a Novitec maxxair induction kit. I ask because i have just bought the Novitec system and it's supposed to be good and then found out that Angel tuning do a re-map with CDA for about £400. Havent fitted the Maxxair yet so could always sell it, although might have to sell my Fender guitar to finance the re-map and CDA so what to do???
Re-map + CDA and no Fender or save for re-map and fit Novitec.
Any advice most welcome

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You decided to take the plunge then ;)

Glad it went well...must be worth it just for that lovely noise again :D

Dead right mate, and its ultra responsive again.

Hope your well, will catch up with you @ next meet.

All the best.
Craig;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a Cotton-Gauze element?

You will notice a company like K&N clearly states you have to use their solution, or they void the guarantee on the element. At the same time they advertise their own solution as being suitable for most re-usable Cotton filters.
Yeh, it is a cotton gauze element, i suppose the K & N cleaning kit will do, but its not any cheaper that a genuine BMC cleaning kit anyway!,
So best stick with that.

P

·
0 Posts
I got it done too. :) Used the K&N cleaner kit I already had, and it seemed fine.

There was actually quite a lot of stuff inside the filter..amazing since it only covered 20.000 km. I think the very low position of the CDA intake, plus the fact that i drove around for a few months without an undertray really added to the amount of dirt which ended up in there. Anyway, after the filter cleaning and oiling process, it looked brand spanking new again.. I held it up to the sun to look through it, and the tiny holes formed a perfect pattern alround. Nice quality filter that one.. i have to say! Also cleaned the outer Carbon box with some brake cleaner, so it too now looks new again :cool:

I also took the plunge and cleaned the MAF out with some two stage electronics cleaner. First sprayed the cleaner on and let it drip for a few minues, then sprayed generously with the alcohol spray, which supposedly removes all grease and leaves no trace of residue/film of any kind on the surfaces.

Sadly I won't have time to assemble the car untill the end of the week, so the oil on the filter will have plenty of time to dry out/soak in. Keep your fingers crossed that i didnt **** up the MAF!! :eek:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can anyone describe how to remove the filter element from the carbon box? Is it just a matter of pulling it out forcefully, or must the little screws at the side be undone first? Also, which side do I remove from? The engine side or the intake side? Cheers.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
unscrew the 4 cross-heads and pull it out by the red nose away from the black collar (I think that means pull it out from the intake side)

·
Premium Member
45,022 Posts
I'm in the process of cleaning my CDA at the moment, I'll let you know what its like after I dry it and re-install it.. :thumbs:

Also, I couldn't get it out from above, it had to come out from below, due to the radiator hose thats not present on the JTD :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yo Thread revival ya' all!

So, how do you get the filter out from its casing ?
I have a used CDA filter here that I would to install but cant get the filter out from its housing tube.
Removed the four screws, but its not budging...

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question, but must get on to cleaning mine out soon. I've never done it, and it's been in the car for 4 years/50k miles, and I'm not sure if it was done as part of services. Probably not....

S

·
0 Posts
Undo the screws, the filter then pulls out. That's all there is to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts