Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 156 JTD came with a face off cd stereo. My previous 156 also had this exact same stero system, so I'm thinking it was stock.

It's a Sony CDX-C5000R.

Lately the radio reception has been getting increasingly crackly - to the point where it is now un-listenable. I'm thinking it may be the removable face, as there have been a few other glitches with it ( doesn't seem to always keep stations in its memory, and sometimes channel buttons 'lock' ).

So where is the best place to get a replacement face? Surely not Alfa as it will cost more the car!!!

I intend to check the aerial first.

cheers

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'd be 'reasonably' surprised if it was a problem with the face...I think it's more likely to be the main unit, or possibly the connections behind it, which may have worked loose.

There are plenty of car audio repairers about, or you might find one on ebay. Just make sure you get the security code for it (if there is one)....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at connections is my first port of call this weekend. My favoured problem solving method is elimination -- and to this end I have an advantage as I sold my old 156 to a friend, so can swap the faces. If this solves the problem then I'll know it's the face.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I can almost guarantee it wont be the face, all that does it control the circuitry in the main body of the unit. Coincidentaly i have exactly the same problem with my Sony radio, pulling it out and checking all the connections didn't help. Next step is to try an alternative antenna.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i'm unsure if a sony would a factory headunit (could be in the UK i suppose).

as above, poor radio reception is unlikely to be due to poor contact with the face (either at the connection, or if there's a broken 'ribbon' connection), but it could account for the other problems you have.

indeed, check the antenna plug is solidly connected to the back of the headunit. if so, then there could be a problem with the antenna or its booster. this may relate to a bad ground connection. if the antenna utilises the rear window demister, could be worth checking the groundwire connection for this, with the tailgate frame; may need to dismantle part of the trim.

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Might be able to shed some light on this : Old Sony HU have an issue, where the tuner board is loacted towards the front, almost touching the main body.

On the side of the unit, there are some mounting holes, used to installing the HU into different cars. If you have used a longer screw, it is possible that the tunder board has been damaged.

Or, if you have a poor earth, you can get arcing between the tuner board and casing, also damaging the tuner board.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also - Shiny Car, Are you saying the rear window in my car ( Sportwagon ) doubles up as an aerial? Where would I find the earth wire to check?

cheers

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Jam a coat hanger in the back, if reception improves then you have solved your problem.. Thats what i'm going to try anyhow.

(a metal coat hanger that is!!)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
whats an 'HU'?
HU = headunit. :)

Also - Shiny Car, Are you saying the rear window in my car ( Sportwagon ) doubles up as an aerial? Where would I find the earth wire to check?
^^^ is said "if" cos i'm not 100% sure. :)

certain, in the early model 156 sedans, the rear window demister doubled as the antenna. later, a roof-mounted antenna was fitted to the 156 (JTS onwards i think, and GTA).

but i'm not 100% sure in the SW. if there's no roof antenna, then i can only presume the rear demister is the antenna.

the groundwire connection should be shared with the demister. you'll see 2 wires connected to the demister, one being the 'live' and the other being the GND. to find the ends of the wires, and where the GND is connected to the chassis/tailgate, i presume you'll need to take off the plastic trims.

i only speak from experience with my old 156 sedan. i've not worked on a SW.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts