Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my GT the caddie from the Auto Changer was missing. I sourced one from eBay for a tenner. As per usual I copy the CD's I put in the car but have found that they are verging on useless as they are constantly skipping.
I do have one original CD in the changer and whilst it is an improvement it still ain't all that good.
Now it could be either the Auto Changer itself which is what I first thought or I have noticed it coincides (albeit with a slight delay) with a pothole or in the GT a grain of sand on the road :lol:

Any ideas? I am now thinking about ditching it completely after reading on here about the iPod connector that utilises the Auto Changer connection.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that the original Blaupunkt changer is pants, it seems to decide on its own whether it wants to play copied cd's or not, it's a lottery!, of the the 10 i have in the changer 2 display nocda on the head unit lol, the head unit ain't much better either, its supposed to play mp3's, but i just get cd error :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think mine is supposed to play MP3's, that came a bit later I think. Mine is a 2005 car.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Is the orientation set correctly on the CD-Changer?

The OEM Alpine unit in my 156 is mounted vertically on the LHS of the boot, but the adjuster was set for horizontal mounting. The skipping was horrendous...!! Eventually I looked at the install manual and changed the setting.
No skipping at all now.

C

·
0 Posts
Yup, the cd changer is a bag of sticky crap. Ditch it for an iPod connection.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I agree, I had the Alpine factory changer in my 1999 156 Lusso. More skips then a boxer on heat.. ditch it and give it up as a bad job. Waste of time. Useless. Not fit for the job. Terrible. Pointless. Worse than a chocolate fireguard.

You get the picture..

·
Registered
387 Posts
When you are making ur CD's make sure the CD burn speed is turned down to about 8x instead of its Max. It wont fix the problems completely but it does help.

Sadly this is a common problem with many older cd changers, my old ford one used to do the same.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
I agree, I had the Alpine factory changer in my 1999 156 Lusso. More skips then a boxer on heat.. ditch it and give it up as a bad job. Waste of time. Useless. Not fit for the job. Terrible. Pointless. Worse than a chocolate fireguard....
Did you check the setting I mentioned...?

No problems at all with mine since changing the setting to vertical.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Did you check the setting I mentioned...?

No problems at all with mine since changing the setting to vertical.
I sold the car in 2008..and then got it back in 2010, resold it in 2010, so no ndidnt know about the vertical setting. Good to know though for other users.

C

·
0 Posts
I found the alpine made changer was ok, it's the blaupunkt changers that I was referring too.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is a Blaupunkt.
I did think about re-recording the CD's as the original CD's play quite well. An old Honda Accord I had was just as useless with copied CD's. This just seemed to coincide with bumps in the road.

Will give the original CD's a chance but think a iPod lead will be the way forward.
Thanks for all the replies :)

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Worth Google'ing for an install manual for the Blaupunkt to see if there is an orientation setting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts