Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago today on my way home on a nice safe (straight) 2 mile straight I saw a traffic bmw parked in a layby, I slowed down to 50 about half a mile further on I was stopped and charged for doing 90 in a 60. Not sure of the exact device but the police said 90 was my average speed between to sections of the road.
I am not so sure the police could clearly see the 2 sections of road to accurately measure my speed when it was pitch black with no road lighting.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
90 is indeed well fast in a 60!

Can't help with this one, but in future, get Waze on your phone, and have the speed trap alerts running. Mobile cams are crowd sourced, so the chance of running into one 'unknown' is massively reduced. Saved my bacon on the way back through France yesterday - running back to Calais at something close to warp speed, got a ping, slowed down, and over the brow of a hill was a police operation - speed trap, plus loads of guys on bikes chasing down the miscreants. Basically paid for my iPhone in that one instant.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Can't help with this one, but in future, get Waze on your phone, and have the speed trap alerts running. Mobile cams are crowd sourced, so the chance of running into one 'unknown' is massively reduced. Saved my bacon on the way back through France yesterday - running back to Calais at something close to warp speed, got a ping, slowed down, and over the brow of a hill was a police operation - speed trap, plus loads of guys on bikes chasing down the miscreants. Basically paid for my iPhone in that one instant.
I dont think the police used a camera.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I dont think the police used a camera if they did it must have been to dark.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
were you stopped by the same police car?..if not then it's unlikely you will have any recourse, if there were two cars operating they would have calculated your speed based on the time it took you travel between two fixed points.

if it was the same car then you may have some argument because I am not sure they can definitively prove it...

that said if it's 3 points and £60 then take it, if you decide to contest it it may end up worse for you, 90 in a 60 is going some...we have all done it I am sure but sometimes when your caught the best policy is to be polite friendly co-operative and take your lumps..:thumbup:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were you stopped by the same police car?..if not then it's unlikely you will have any recourse, if there were two cars operating they would have calculated your speed based on the time it took you travel between two fixed points.

if it was the same car then you may have some argument because I am not sure they can definitively prove it...

that said if it's 3 points and £60 then take it, if you decide to contest it it may end up worse for you, 90 in a 60 is going some...we have all done it I am sure but sometimes when your caught the best policy is to be polite friendly co-operative and take your lumps..:thumbup:
It was just 1 car and it was pitch black with no road lighting.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I dont think the police used a camera
Other drivers are simply reporting the presence of plod - spot a plod car parked up by the side of the road, wave your hand over the phone, say "report police", and everyone driving that road will get a report. Other drivers will confirm, or indicate that plod has moved on. Once enough drivers have confirmed that plod has gone, then the alert is removed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yep, use waze everyone, and participate! I run the latest iteration on android and it is very quick and easy to note a broken dowm car, accident, police whatever. Definitely helps you avoid trouble of many sorts.We probably need an Alfa group on there as well!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It was just 1 car and it was pitch black with no road lighting.
one or two plod in the car?

one plod is good as they need two to corroborate their story in the event you would take it to court, with no actual evidence such as a speed camera reading they are simply going on one lone policeman's perception of your speed on an unlit road at night.

that may well be worth challenging.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one or two plod in the car?

one plod is good as they need two to corroborate their story in the event you would take it to court, with no actual evidence such as a speed camera reading they are simply going on one lone policeman's perception of your speed on an unlit road at night.

that may well be worth challenging.
1 car sadly 2 plod in the car they showed me a device that they said show my average speed as 90,The speed wasn't legible to me. Not sure if the police just estimated my speed.

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I think 30mph over the limit could be an instant ban.

Might be worth finding out what the margin or error is in their calculations, especially considering it was dark and the method they used.

You should be able to argue that you were doing slightly less than 90mph so that you can get points and a fine.

After all I am sure you were speeding at least a bit. ;)

Everyone does it from time to time when conditions allow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably a silly question but why were you doing 90 in a 60 in the first place ? :paperbag:
I don't want to incriminate myself but I am not sure Of the precise location on the road where the police allege I averaged 90, did the police have a clear view of the 2 points of the road considering it was unlit and pitch black? The section of A road is proberly the safest in Argyll.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Why do people get the hump when they get caught?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, use waze everyone, and participate! I run the latest iteration on android and it is very quick and easy to note a broken dowm car, accident, police whatever. Definitely helps you avoid trouble of many sorts.We probably need an Alfa group on there as well!
Most of Argyll doesn't have ant 3G/4G.
I have just downloaded the waze app,will is work when there is no 3G/4G signal.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
My Coyote works in the UK. That has its own 2G/GPRS connection.

But live reports are only useful if there's a big enough community
using whichever system you choose.

90 in a 60 zone is high. Even here they'd give you a heavy(ish) fine
for that. That's almost in the 1500Euros and 6 points area here. (50kph over the limit.)

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
My Coyote works in the UK. That has its own 2G/GPRS connection.

But live reports are only useful if there's a big enough community
using whichever system you choose.

90 in a 60 zone is high. Even here they'd give you a heavy(ish) fine
for that. That's almost in the 1500Euros and 6 points area here. (50kph over the limit.)
I was advised that 50% over the limit in France would (could?) result in the car being confiscated there and then? :paranoid:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I don't think that's how it works. It's in tranches of kph over the posted limit.
20kph over, 30kph over etc. Once you are above 50kph over then yes you are
into the realms of book throwing and car immobilisation.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts