Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ridicuosly stupid catylic converter on my 33 and and apparently its resticting power is this true??
after market full extractors/exhaust where about could i source this from?
bolt on air filters to the carbys are they any good increase or decrease power in engine or better acceleration??
and im shaving my fly wheel good or bad idea
my engine is currently out of my car as im thinkingof getting work to it:)

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey john thanx for the reply
what should i replace the original cat with??? and would i be getting more acceleration or power?

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
mate, replace the cat with nothing or sports straight through cat !
Yes you would get more acceleration and power.
Think twice about shaving the flywheel though mate, it might not work out for you.

It needs to be perfectly balanced to begin with. The one I've got on is shaved and although I feel as if I gained on high revs, I also feel as if I've lost a bit of torque on lower to mid revs. Donno if thats scientifically true, but thats how it feels, so I'm installing one out of a 146 when I drop the engine.

K

·
0 Posts
when i enquired about the flywheel being lightened on mine i was told it was no power increase as such, just a slightly more eager/sharper willingness to rev.

would agree that you would lose some torque though as the flywheels' job is to store the energy as well as to have somewhere to bolt the clutch :lol:

K

·
0 Posts
that's another issue with the sunken clutch friction area, the cover mounting point face will also need taking down to stop the distance getting greater and reducing the clamping load.
not an issue on flywheels where the friction surface and the mounting points are on the same level..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot guys ...im going to get my hands on a high flow cat ...a steel pipe would be louder then a v8.... have had enough trouble with the pigs in sydney haha
i wont bother with fly wheel
i just dropped my engine out so while it out im doing as much as i can without going nuts

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Replace it with a straight bit of pipe ! Job done:thumbs:
I think the guys have covered the flywheel;)

Chris what's the difference if any with the 146 flywheel?
33 sud and sprint flywheels have a 200mm housing for the clutch disk.
The 146 has a 215mm housing - although they still use 200mm clutch disks as well.

HOWEVER !!!!!! Using the 215mm type flywheel, gives you the option of using an OPEL OMEGA clutch disk, which is stronger ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my mate done the conversion just before i brought it off him i didnt know anything bout it
iv got a hi flow cat on order at the moment

1 - 20 of 25 Posts