Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I sent my 147 1.6 T-spark to a tuning company to have it chipped, have branches put on and have the cats removed. I got a good power increase, 14kw’s or so however the removal of the cats created some problems. They did put on cat foolers to compensate for the cat removal.

The engine tone would become almost dead and sounded almost like it was stuttering, there would be no power until you accelerated more, there was always a smell of petrol around the car, rather large flames out the exhaust, backfires and heavily increased fuel consumption, to 15 liters/100km.

We had the lambda sensors replaced in an attempt to fix the problem, however the problem was only resolved once the standard exhaust manifold and cats were put back on. Has anyone had a similar problem, or any ideas of what the problem was and how to fix it, as if I could, I would like to have the branches put back on, and the cats removed once again, but would like the car to be drivable.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Isn't caused by the faster air flow over the lambdas messing up the reading? The solutions I've read which was to modify it so the lambdas don't poke into the exhaust pipe so much.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a new exhauset from the manifold back and have never had the problems you describe. Original manifold and no tuning as of yet.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
sounds like its majorly over fuelling... i would get the tuning company to inspect the map they have put in place as if its a generic one it may be designed for a car with the CATs in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts