Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....please help!!!

I am considering a 2018 Giulia with a Cat N classification. Dealer says the car was stolen and written off but then found by the Police hence the Cat N classification. Any one familiar with the Cat N classifications and whether stolen vehicle not damaged are categorised as such?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Unusual situation as stolen cars don’t usually have a habit of turning up after they’ve gone missing. I’d just avoid it personally, anything could have happened to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@LiamBates thanks a lot. I do have a funny feeling about it. Just seen it on AT at below £16K with really low mileage. The dealer, when I called, said it was stolen written off and then found again. Have checked to see the history online and shows as stolen in 11/2020 and found in April 21 :). Other than that, nothing reported on car history. I just don't know that insurance companies put a car down as CAT N because it was stolen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CAT N is normally for non-structural damage. So might have been partially stripped for example or just had light panel damage. There is a website which keeps records (including images) of cars which have been thru some of the major salvage sites. Vehicle History Check | Salvage History | Ex-Taxi Search . Might be worth a look.
Thanks SGG. Have already completed a check...everything else passes apart from that it was written off. Will ask dealer for details of the write off and police theft report to compare.

Thanks

·
Registered
GTV TS P2, Giulia 2,2 Q2
290 Posts
I personally would walk away.
For £16k there must be better Giulias out there.
When and if you decide to sell it in the future the value will always be affected by its Cat N status.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally would walk away.
For £16k there must be better Giulias out there.
When and if you decide to sell it in the future the value will always be affected by its Cat N status.
Thanks alfaatlast. With advise to walk away, I think the best thing to do is just that...walk on:).

It is really tempting though considering it's a Speciale with less than 15k on. The alternative Speciale in consideration is a 2017, same price and 64K miles.....hence my excitement. But I think I am getting at trend here with responses.

Thanks a lot all.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I always avoid Cat N as unless the damage is very well documented you are rolling a dice, plus the resale value after you've bought it is trash.

16k is a lot of money for something that could be a minefield, also look at the amount of time that elapsed between going missing and found. I very much doubt it would have been treated with any respect in that time...

My own Honda is Cat N now but I bought it back and I'll repair it myself, because of it's status I'll probably drive it until it becomes uneconomical now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The usual saying of if it is too good to be true it probably is would usually stand, but I would maybe be a bit more diligent before walking away
1) If through a dealer does it come with any warranty?
2) Is this the dealer it was taken to once recovered or did they buy it, what did they have to do it to make it sellable?
3) What evidence do they have?
4) Invest in a thorough inspection, see if that throws up any unseen stuff, if an inspection confirms it's good, then maybe don't walk away too soon, but if you are spending money on an inspection to give you some confidence, remember that could be dead money if the inspector says walk away :)

Just my opinion, the Speciale is a great car.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I would run a mile, personally. Far too much money to burn if it turns out to be a 'lemon'. As mentioned above, the resale value will be very low if you can ever sell it. Us Alfa drivers are a fussy lot - and rightly so.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,509 Posts
Would not worry about the Cat N repair as long as invisibly repaired. I wont touch a structurally repaired Cat S though. More of an issue than the repair was how the car was treated when it was stolen (they say "drive it like you stole it" for a reason!).

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If something is marginally dodgy on a car like a Giulia, why take the risk I say. Save up a bit more money and get a nice, looked-after example without a shady history. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Each to their own though - just my views.

Reactions: RJS463

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If it was a £1k banger then Cat N doesn't matter.

IMO for anything that has resale value then I'd avoid. Likewise with service history, as I came close to buying a Fist Panda that was utterly beautiful inside and out, basically a new car with only 14k on the clock. Was a 2012 but the dealer wanted top dollar for it, problem is it had no history so would be worth marginal bits if I tried to sell it on later.

Likewise put yourself in the shoes of someone buying that Guila after you. Give it say 3 or 4 years when the Guila has depreciated further. Who is going to take a recovered stolen Cat N car over one that's got a fully accounted for history?

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 2018 car with 14,747 miles on it will have spent all its life under warranty and should be "as new" condition with such low mileage. For that asking price and with it being such a new car, I personally think you will be fine.

Dont forget the car doesnt need to have been repaired to get a Cat N, it could simply be because the insurance paid out for it during the 4 months it was missing so it was written off.

(i assume this is the one?) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107165133264

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,013 Posts
All sound arguments but..... and for me this is a massive but.....where and what the car did in the significant number of months the car was missing. I can think of a few scenarios.....some not very pleasant ones involving drugs, women etc. etc... and I don't mean rock stars. I cannot think of even sitting in one spending 16k! I would certainly walk away warranty, condition or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
What happens these days is that when they rob a valuable car they sometimes hide it somewhere so as to check if it has a tracker fitted. If they see any police activity around it for a period of time, they walk away, like Robert De Niro in Heat. To steal a Giulia Speciale you need to get the key, or do the whole laptop/special software catching the signal from the key thing. You don't steal a diesel if you need something to outrun the cops, you steal a Golf R. This was not an opportunistic theft, it was a professional special order, hence the precaution of leaving it to see if a tracker was fitted. I'd buy it, with a good warranty, once it passed an inspection.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,013 Posts
What happens these days is that when they rob a valuable car they sometimes hide it somewhere so as to check if it has a tracker fitted. If they see any police activity around it for a period of time, they walk away, like Robert De Niro in Heat. To steal a Giulia Speciale you need to get the key, or do the whole laptop/special software catching the signal from the key thing. You don't steal a diesel if you need something to outrun the cops, you steal a Golf R. This was not an opportunistic theft, it was a professional special order, hence the precaution of leaving it to see if a tracker was fitted. I'd buy it, with a good warranty, once it passed an inspection.
Unless you are the De Niro equivalent, this is just a guess which is potentially plausible, but it also means could not be. We all have different perceptions which may not match reality and we will never know what actually happened to the car. That small doubt is enough to put me off. It is just a car, not a special edition or something that cannot be found otherwise. But that is my perception :geek:

I quote the character himself in Heat ;)

Neil McCauley : A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,036 Posts
If you do take the route of buying, you dont pay screen price, start low, real low and work up.

·
Registered
39,138 Posts
“ You don't steal a diesel if you need something to outrun the cops,..”
The 2.2 turbo is pretty quick!
The trick of leaving a stolen car to see if it can be tracked is a thing that bike thieves do as well. The other trick used to be placing an ad then saying you bought it from there, apparently.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts