Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I think I'm going to view a 2.4 Brera tomorrow but it's a cat D.

Dealer has told me it had a light front knock and has had new bumper and bonnet. I believe this was in summer 2015 and it's not been sold since. 77k full ar service history including cam belt.

It's cheap but I'm nervous.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
My previous car (GT) was a CAT D. As mentioned it is only future buyers. Buy cheap you sell cheap and enjoy a perfectly great car.
Alfa's I think become CAT D quite easily. They are a bit expensive for parts and depreciate a bit more than others so soon become uneconomical to repair.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What are the details and how much is the dealer asking? There are quite a few diesel Breras available most of the time..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just to echo the comments above, there is usually very little to be concerned about when buying a Cat D car.

Cat D generally means that the cost of repairs was somewhere between 66% - 100% of the car's value at the time. Often an insurer will deem cars uneconomical to repair over the 66% mark due to the risk of discovering additional damage etc.

If there is any evidence of the repairs that were carried out that'll be a bonus, but I wouldn't be too worried personally.

There are a lot of cars out there for sale that have been damaged from accidents and subsequently repaired but there are no markers against them and nothing to notify potential buyers of previous repairs. With a Cat D car you almost have an advantage from a buyer's point of view in that it has the marker and will generally be priced accordingly.

·
Registered
15,834 Posts
Just to echo the comments above, there is usually very little to be concerned about when buying a Cat D car.

Cat D generally means that the cost of repairs was somewhere between 66% - 100% of the car's value at the time. Often an insurer will deem cars uneconomical to repair over the 66% mark due to the risk of discovering additional damage etc.

If there is any evidence of the repairs that were carried out that'll be a bonus, but I wouldn't be too worried personally.

There are a lot of cars out there for sale that have been damaged from accidents and subsequently repaired but there are no markers against them and nothing to notify potential buyers of previous repairs. With a Cat D car you almost have an advantage from a buyer's point of view in that it has the marker and will generally be priced accordingly.
This is the key thing with a cat D I think. There will be Mondeos and Vectras out there that will have suffered more damage, been fixed, but not been recorded because parts are dirt cheap so they could be repaired relatively cheaply. Treat it with suspicion as you would any potential purchase, and accept that buying low in this case means selling low in the future, and you might get a bargain.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I manage motor claims for a large insurer and would echo the comments above regarding the repairers etc. providing they have been done to a good standard you should have no issues what so ever. CAT D is simply down to the economics of the repairer ie the total cost of the repairs ( including the cost of providing a hire car etc whilst the repair is being carried out) against the value of the car.

Make sure you see the HPI report to ensure it is a CAT D and not a CAT C ( certainly should be a CAT B or A as these should not be back on the road at any price )

As a guide the value of a CAT D is approx 35% lower than an HPI clear car so bear that in mind when buying and selling

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your comments everyone. I must admit i bottled it and cancelled the viewing. If it had been just down the road i would have looked but it's about 2 hours away. I do think potentially it's a great deal for someone.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know its not an Alfa, but I bought a Toyota Supra MK4 which was Cat-D, nothing wrong with it and was a pleasure to drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts