Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a cat C - damage was new wing and paint made it an uneconomical repair.

Seller says he all the reports and receipts for the work, with photos before the work (which was undertaken by insurer approved garage).

Resale value doesn't bother me at all - it's cheap and will be kept until it dies.

Anything to worry about with insurance etc?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Don't think insurers will care assuming all the paperwork documenting its road worthiness checks out... Find the reg, if you can, of a similar vehicle with no adverse HPI-ness and see.

Assuming it has all been put back together properly... Go for it. Maybe take a long test drive to see if anything sticks out.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think insurers will care assuming all the paperwork documenting its road worthiness checks out... Find the reg, if you can, of a similar vehicle with no adverse HPI-ness and see.

Assuming it has all been put back together properly... Go for it. Maybe take a long test drive to see if anything sticks out.
Cheers Nick.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It might pay to contact your current insurers and ask them how they would look at the deal. At least that is what I would do. It will give you a good insight as to whether to buy the car or not.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might pay to contact your current insurers and ask them how they would look at the deal. At least that is what I would do. It will give you a good insight as to whether to buy the car or not.
Good call, cheers.

It's a GT - went to see a couple today - not quite ready to buy just yet (waiting to get holidays over with)

EDIT - was waiting to get holidays over with but want one NOW :biglaugh:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Only thing to check is when it was classified Cat C. Up to a year or so ago it would have had to undergo a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) before going back on the road. Recently however the Government saw sense and scrapped the scheme as a bureaucratic nonsense :)

I've had several Cat C vehicles, though - no issues. A check with your insurer would be wise, though - they may well offer a lower payout if you had to claim for it again. And of course you should be paying less than for a vehicle that hasn't had damage.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only thing to check is when it was classified Cat C. Up to a year or so ago it would have had to undergo a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) before going back on the road. Recently however the Government saw sense and scrapped the scheme as a bureaucratic nonsense :)

I've had several Cat C vehicles, though - no issues. A check with your insurer would be wise, though - they may well offer a lower payout if you had to claim for it again. And of course you should be paying less than for a vehicle that hasn't had damage.
Great point that I hadn't thought about - if the cars worth less then insurance premium should be less.

Missed out - it's gone, but there are others, :ponder:

·
AO Traders
604 Posts
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. The majority of our schemes have no issues with category C or D written off vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line. The majority of our schemes have no issues with category C or D written off vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.
I second Dan. Having been with Adrian flux for many a year, a dozy woman hit the rear of my s class, that was wrote off, I bought it back, did the work and the insurance was fine, just needed to get her a new mot to show the insurer she was OK.

Payout will be less for a future claim, but as long as you've paid the lower value in the first, it's only right and all in order really. Least it means less depreciation lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts