Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here who has run their Spider 2.0 on castrol R engine oil ? Mineral oil is mineral oil and they use it for old racing engines so apart from the cost of it are there any drawbacks? Will it require much more regular changes? The smell of it is alone is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Castrol themselves aren't listing it, but the only reference I can find on the tinterweb is to SAE 40 Motorcycle Oil.
Is it a multigrade Oil?, Alfa do state 20/50, so if its not multi I'd be careful.
The Engine might smell lovely for a short while though.....

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If you want the smell without toasting your engine then a few drops in the petrol might give you what you want - personally speaking I wouldn't want to run mine on straight 40

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already add a few drops of castrol R into the petrol. It's difficult to gauge how much how often. I figure a couple of egg cups full per tank but the smell is not really there. Used to use it in my old Saab turbos when I ran them with the boost wound up and on thinners to up the octane at fifteen percent a tank. The castrol was used to prevent the thinners from being too coarse on the fuel pump and injectors-add a little lubrication. A good squirt per tank...... I guess I will just keep increasing the dose as the worst I think can happen is it fouls the plugs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Castrol R is recommended for competition applications only. It is a “one meeting” only lubricant, with fresh oil to be used at the commencement of each meeting and drained at completion. ( in other words you do not leave Casrtol R in the engine after a meeting ) Castrol R is not recommended for normal road use.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wthank you for that. Just the answer I was wanting. Guess it's back to upping the does in the petrol tank then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts