Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any views/experience on use of Castrol GTX oil in Alfa Romeo 156 engine? Is this suitable? Selina is now some £30 for 5 ltrs (unless you know better!) and Halfords currently have an offer on Castrol GTX (which they say is suitable) at £17.50 for 4 ltrs.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Homebargains are doing Gulf 10/40 for £8 for 4ltrs, making Halfords look less of a bargain, or try Opies oils for other variants at good prices.

HTH

·
Registered
262 Posts
selinia is £30 for 5 litres ok,halfords sell 4 litres at £17.50 so seems cheap but then you will need another litre to top up to the max level which will cost you £10 so its false economy you might aswell buy the selinia
steve

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
GTX has a chequered past in the TS engine. Older threads on here (and another 156 forum) suggest that the oil consumption goes up dramatically.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Castrol GTX is only a mineral oil.
Magnatec is the SemiSynthetic.

But if you are going to Halfords for a 10W40 I'd go for Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W/40. £22.39 for 5L

·
Registered
262 Posts
i had the mobil super in mine before but it drank it like it was going out of fashion,so now back with the selinia 20k and hardly using any oil
steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but I made an error by saying GTX whereas it was Magnatec (offer looks to now be closed) but the litres left over excellent to satisfy Alfa's engines' appetite for oil..............:rolleyes:!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Castrol Magnatec NOT GTX

Does anyone have any views/experience on use of Castrol GTX oil in Alfa Romeo 156 engine? Is this suitable? Selina is now some £30 for 5 ltrs (unless you know better!) and Halfords currently have an offer on Castrol GTX (which they say is suitable) at £17.50 for 4 ltrs.:thumbs:
My mistake - it was Magnatec I bought, not GTX.:eek:

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
to be honest anything is better than Selenia. I use Fuch's Titan 10w/40 semi synthetic
There's 163,000 on my 156 and all done on Selenia 20K .. can't see what the problem is ;)

M

·
0 Posts
I bought Castrol while it's on offer, been using it for a while now. i did try selina and my TS drank the lot within 1500 Miles! :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts