Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Was in Asda and they are selling Castrol Edge 4ltrs for £30. I looked on the bottle and it meets Fiat 955535.S2 Acea C3 and checked the website with my reg and this is the oil they recommend. Has anyone used this in 1.4t ma im going to service my car in the next month and the selenia stuff costs a fortune. I always used Castrol in my Mondeo and the engine was sweet as nut with 110k on it.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I used it i my Jtdm, but not convinced. lots of regens happening. Now using Total MC3 and regens are at least double the miles in between.

Car feels faster aswell. No idea about consumption yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old Castrol Edge does not meet the Fiat spec. The new one Edge Titanium 5w-40 does. They had both bottles on the shelf and Fiat is listed on the new bottle. I bought it and its going in. It meets the spec so should be fine.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm not so sure about Castrol. I'd go for Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40, although, meeting the same specs, they shouldn't be much different. At least in theory.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
350 Posts
The Castrol has a lower viscosity (but still within spec) than the factory selenia oil. In fact I'm pretty sure it has the lowest viscosity of all 5w-40 oil.

Don't know whether the difference will be tangible but it should run smoother with better efficiency due to the lower resistance...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's more about HTHS than viscosity itself if you're interested in efficiency.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The old Castrol Edge does not meet the Fiat spec. The new one Edge Titanium 5w-40 does. They had both bottles on the shelf and Fiat is listed on the new bottle. I bought it and its going in. It meets the spec so should be fine.
Edge titanium fst is the one I used. It's not THAT new, I bought 5 litres over 18 months ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts