Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

“Uncertainty continues regarding the production recovery of Alfa Romeo models in the FCA plant in Cassino, which had been stopped since last March due to the lockdown due to the Coronavirus emergency. Unlike other FCA production plants in Italy, the Cassino site is still stationary (net of some component departments connected to the activities of other plants) and there is still no official date on the resumption of model production activities Alfa Romeo.

In these hours, trade union circles are showing confirmation of a further extension of the layoffs, expiring on May 14th. It is likely, as already revealed in some rumors last week, that the production of the Alfa Romeo models in Cassino will remain still for a few days. At the moment, there are still no confirmations regarding a possible production recovery set for May 19, given at the center of several rumors in recent days.

Among the hypotheses on the table there is also that of a reopening of the plant for the next week, to dispose of a series of orders arrived in these months of lockdown, with a subsequent recourse to layoffs over the following weeks. Probably a final decision will be made over the next few hours.”

Via google translate.

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update from Clubalfa.it
“The calendar of production activities of the Stellantis plant in Cassino confirms how easily imaginable. Also in March, a drastic cut in production is expected for the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Alfa Romeo Stelvio compared to the normal activities envisaged, with extensive use of layoffs for site workers.

Currently, we recall, the production of Giulia and Stelvio takes place on a single shift, from Monday to Friday. In March, out of a total of 23 working days, normal production activity is expected to take place only for 15 days. The production cut is 35% with recourse to layoffs for 8 working days (1, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26 and 31 March).

It should be noted that both January and February saw a 30% cut in production, also in this case with recourse to social safety nets. In fact, therefore, a greater number of days off is expected in March compared to what was already recorded in the previous months.”

·
Registered
252 Posts
Update from Clubalfa.it
“The calendar of production activities of the Stellantis plant in Cassino confirms how easily imaginable. Also in March, a drastic cut in production is expected for the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Alfa Romeo Stelvio compared to the normal activities envisaged, with extensive use of layoffs for site workers.

Currently, we recall, the production of Giulia and Stelvio takes place on a single shift, from Monday to Friday. In March, out of a total of 23 working days, normal production activity is expected to take place only for 15 days. The production cut is 35% with recourse to layoffs for 8 working days (1, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26 and 31 March).

It should be noted that both January and February saw a 30% cut in production, also in this case with recourse to social safety nets. In fact, therefore, a greater number of days off is expected in March compared to what was already recorded in the previous months.”
That's great news, my factory order got sent off beginning of this week, what does that mean for my order?

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An Italian friend told me they used to make up Mito orders from unsold Mitos in the compounds by swapping things round but I think the Giorgio cars are a bit more complex!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wish I could unread all of the above, makes one worry on their first expensive car order. Is there any news on delays or problems for MY21? I just have to hope that the car is built in good time and to a high quality standard despite the problems at the plant.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,946 Posts
I suppose if they restart the factory and get all the staff to concentrate on YOUR car they might, just possibly, turn out ONE to a "high quality standard"....but more likely it will be like all the other Giulias!

Just joking.....sort of......!:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I suppose if they restart the factory and get all the staff to concentrate on YOUR car they might, just possibly, turn out ONE to a "high quality standard"....but more likely it will be like all the other Giulias!

Never had any issues with my Giulia Veloce. 😊

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

my Stelvio is to a high quality standard. How long have you had your Giulia?

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,946 Posts
....did your muss the joke part!?

Im only basing it on my own experience....I posted this elsewhere all I won't repeat in full. But basically I'm looking for Quad or a Veloce....admittedly early ones...and as such I've driven three Quads and one Veloce.....all of them had more creaks in the dash and trims than my ancient and high miles 159. Nothing I could not fix but I've had 15 year old cars with high mileage that were silent so it's not what I expect on a modern car, three or four years old. Also the grade of plastic is not that great...particularly the control stalks and dash/centre consul trims.....not terrible... just not up to the standard of there German competition and they don't "feel" quality.
But it does not matter to me as that's not the main reason I buy a car....or obviously others (like your lot!) or not many potential newcomers to ALFA would buy new AFLAs. But the road tests often pick up on it too...and would be buyers see that.

Cant comment on Stelvio....only ever been in couple as a passenger and was not really paying attention!

Obviously this is just my opinion....YMMV.....and if you don't agree that's fine!

....anyway this is off topic....carry on!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
An Italian friend told me they used to make up Mito orders from unsold Mitos in the compounds by swapping things round but I think the Giorgio cars are a bit more complex!
Ahhh yes, those awful MiTo's that introduced loads of people to Alfa who would otherwise have not looked at the brand. But lets sell 80 Giulia's and Stelvio's in the UK in a month and call ourselves premium, even if that means the factory workforce are at home more than they're at work. Super!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,883 Posts
....did your muss the joke part!?

Im only basing it on my own experience....I posted this elsewhere all I won't repeat in full. But basically I'm looking for Quad or a Veloce....admittedly early ones...and as such I've driven three Quads and one Veloce.....all of them had more creaks in the dash and trims than my ancient and high miles 159. Nothing I could not fix but I've had 15 year old cars with high mileage that were silent so it's not what I expect on a modern car, three or four years old. Also the grade of plastic is not that great...particularly the control stalks and dash/centre consul trims.....not terrible... just not up to the standard of there German competition and they don't "feel" quality.
But it does not matter to me as that's not the main reason I buy a car....or obviously others (like your lot!) or not many potential newcomers to ALFA would buy new AFLAs. But the road tests often pick up on it too...and would be buyers see that.

Cant comment on Stelvio....only ever been in couple as a passenger and was not really paying attention!

Obviously this is just my opinion....YMMV.....and if you don't agree that's fine!

....anyway this is off topic....carry on!
Simple answer, buy a bloody BMW! And if you think BMW's dont have creaky dashboards, enjoy:

In fact there are pages of them!

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh yes, those awful MiTo's that introduced loads of people to Alfa who would otherwise have not looked at the brand. But lets sell 80 Giulia's and Stelvio's in the UK in a month and call ourselves premium, even if that means the factory workforce are at home more than they're at work. Super!
I’m not sure if Mito buyers went on to replace them with new upgraded Alfas. It would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,883 Posts
I’m not sure if Mito buyers went on to replace them with new upgraded Alfas. It would be interesting to know.
There is a market where people dont move on from B segment cars, so to have retained interest a 'new' Mito would have been needed, likewise some never go beyond C segment. Both those customers are now lost to Golf, Polo, Focus, Clio etc etc.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
On various Alfa groups on Facebook and remembering back a few years on here, I seem to remember a few people going from MiTo to Giulietta. Some of them bought a subsequent Giulietta. Several of the Giulia owners previously had Giuliettas, with some buying a MiTo for their partners or children. Some Giulia's are now making way for a Stelvio so there does seem to be repeat purchases across Alfa brand once people have made the jump to buy their first.

As TopDown mentions though, some people stick with one given market segment, so abandoning two popular segments is a risky approach and appears to be born out by Alfa's sales figures. Also, while people are happy to take a chance on something different like Alfa, it would take time for a huge number of them to take a chance to the tune of £35k (and quickly) upwards - had they previously been able to take a chance with a £15k MiTo or £25k Giulietta, a new, more expensive Alfa wouldn't be such a leap of faith.

They could probably afford to drop the MiTo segment as a proportion of people would move to the Giulietta, some naturally such as the single man or women who gets a partner and has children. However to expect them to jump two segments is a big ask, particularly given that saloons are not the most popular segment anymore. I'm sure many would be happy with a Stelvio but then you're in to the realms of affordability problems, so I really think Alfa should have done more to maintain a presence in at least one of the two (B & C) segments. Hopefully Stellantis will quickly resolve this.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
^^^^^^^^
I currently own a Giulietta and am retired. The Guilietta has all the space my wife and I need to travel through the UK as well as three weeks visiting Italy and Austria each summer (Covid19 permitting). Why would I want to by a bigger car at 50% more money just because AR no longer wish to be associated with the C segment of the market?

·
Registered
38,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marchionne wanted Alfa to be the dowry for a wedding of FCA to another group and this has been achieved. Without Alfa offering something PSA didn’t have there would be no merger. C class hatches abound in the PSA portfolio and perhaps Alfa could use those ingredients.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
No need I will just go and buy a Peugeot. No need to stick an Alfa Romeo badge on it.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,062 Posts
But lets sell 80 Giulia's and Stelvio's in the UK in a month and call ourselves premium,...
To be considered premium, an element of exclusivity is required; you could argue that - whether through circumstance or intent - Alfa has aced that.

:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Marchionne wanted Alfa to be the dowry for a wedding of FCA to another group and this has been achieved. Without Alfa offering something PSA didn’t have there would be no merger. C class hatches abound in the PSA portfolio and perhaps Alfa could use those ingredients.
Right on both counts there I think, cue. Hoping for a Giulietta based on a re-work of the forthcoming new Peugeot 308. Obviously I'd prefer a truly Alfa-based one but they're just not going to do that with a competitive platform like PSAs EMP2 on offer. So long as it has some FCA powertrain options and doesn't go down PSAs painful route of putting HVAC controls on the touchscreen, I will buy one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts