Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
It is connected at the top of your engine by the bulkhead, you will see a total of 3connectors a white one, brown one and blue one i think it is the blue one if i remember correctly. I bet your problem is at the other end though which means you will have to have the cambelt off i have tried changing one without slipping the belt off but had no luck so i had to do the full works to change it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK DavFFc..I'll take a look in the light tomorrow. Is there a loom or second connector in between then? 'cos that blue plug in your pic link looks a good 14" away from the sensor, but the cable in my link only looks about 8" long?

Biffa - that is close ! I'm on Mountain Road!! I'll see how I get on tomorrow. I fear the sensor is nadgered, and I'll give Waterfall in Bridgend a call on Monday, they did the belts for me about 4 months ago.

D

·
0 Posts
No second connector - the cable runs underneath/up the back of the plastic manifold and locates on the top as shown. The cable is a reasonable length though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Biffa - thanks, I've just been looking through your GTV rebuild pics, so I can see the cable routing of the sensor now- very useful pics thanks!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OK DavFFc..I'll take a look in the light tomorrow. Is there a loom or second connector in between then? 'cos that blue plug in your pic link looks a good 14" away from the sensor, but the cable in my link only looks about 8" long?

Biffa - that is close ! I'm on Mountain Road!! I'll see how I get on tomorrow. I fear the sensor is nadgered, and I'll give Waterfall in Bridgend a call on Monday, they did the belts for me about 4 months ago.
Dont buy any sensors yet i have used good ones of both types. Was the CAM belt changed recently?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Biffa. Changed in Aug/Sept last year (4K miles) Waterfall in Bridgend did the job, they have a good reputation so I don't think they damaged it (as I have read can happen)
And anyway I'd expect it to fail sooner if it had been disturbed. I suspect it has just failed

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I should have stated at the start this is a quest to fix a poor acceleration & hesitancy plus wandering tickover/over revving problem.
Yesterday I Cleaned around the Cam sensor which had some iron filings stuck to it, did not get any new sensor errors for a while, and Biffa helped me do a re-zero of actuators using ECUScan. (thanks Biffa) did the required 10k drive after the reset, and got an error light, and driving hiccup/hesitancy still present.

Checked logs..stored light was due to a CAM sensor error - which I think is probably intermittent and not related to the poor acceleration and wandering tickover I have been getting.
So, today...Unplug MAF and go for a drive, driving style unchanged (error light brought on = air flow sensor)
replug MAF , unplug Lambda , go for a drive.
Seems to drive much better, no errors logged.
I will leave Lambda unplugged for a while to see if this is the fix

(Is it OK to drive for a longer period with the Lambda sensor unplugged? somewhere I recall it can damage the CAT??)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was on the right trail...
Took car to Waterfall garage in Bridgend for a diag. checkout which confirmed the Lambda is not working.
I could kick myself as the FIATECU scan had told me this (If only I had known what I was looking at) the Lambda output was solid on 450mV when it should be flip-flopping between C. 200mV and 600mV as it goes from rich to lean.
I'm currently waiting for a Bosch Lambda having read about non-Bosch ones giving trouble.
I hope this will improve the problem, and make the car more driveable.

Incidentally, does anyone on here have a good set of output readings for a known good engine to compare with ECUSCan results?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was on the right trail...
Took car to Waterfall garage in Bridgend for a diag. checkout which confirmed the Lambda is not working.
I could kick myself as the FIATECU scan had told me this (If only I had known what I was looking at) the Lambda output was solid on 450mV when it should be flip-flopping between C. 200mV and 600mV as it goes from rich to lean.
I'm currently waiting for a Bosch Lambda having read about non-Bosch ones giving trouble.
I hope this will improve the problem, and make the car more driveable.

Incidentally, does anyone on here have a good set of output readings for a known good engine to compare with ECUSCan results?
Do you know i looked at the lambda voltage when i was there and noticed it wasnt moving and was going to mention it but we got side tracked by something and i forgot, its only after reading this i remembered, but i suposed you kinda came to that conclusion after you had cleaned the CAM sensor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts