Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I'm the first to be sceptical of any news reports on new scams sufficiently devious to get daily mail readers foaming at the mouth, I've become increasingly paranoid about getting getting involved in an accident with someone who just wants money from my Insurance company, or possibly worse, an uninsured driver.

Having thought about this for a while, I came up with a plan to combat this heinous crime with at very least some reasonably hard evidence. Whilst it's practically impossible to prevent some idiot driving into you, you can at least stack the odds back in your favour that it wasn't your fault. Although I carry in the car at all times very compact but hi-resolution digital camera with video capability, this is only any use for documenting _after_ the event, it's not really much good for proving who hit who or who was driving like an idiot on the phone.

My work in IT has made me aware of the huge amount of CPU power which is available for peanuts which with a very low power draw, making it ideal for use in-car. My idea was to build a prototype based upon a Beagleboard platform and hook it up to a number of webcams to provide a continuous in-car digital recorder which covered a 360 degree view of the area around the car. The recording would run almost continuously and only be stopped by the owner in the event of an accident. It would need enough storage to collect the events leading up to the incident and cover the few minutes afterwards (should the other driver decide to "settle" the issue with an iron bar or only 1 person gets out of the vehicle rather than the 7 subsequently claimed). It would also need to a sufficiently robust solution if necessary to stand up in court and/or a significant impact.

Having mulled this over for a while, I'd just got together in my head the bits I'd need to build a prototype, and then this weekend, the worst happened. I didn't get hit by a dodgy driver, I was leafing through the latest Shell Drivers magazine and spotted a short, off-hand review of this:

Novus GPS - Novus Eye Series

:eek:

Which suffice it to say, pretty much does EXACTLY what I've been prevaricating about for almost a year! :( Having never discussed this with anybody (my plan was to patent it), I know that they've not ripped me off, but it seems I'm not quite the innovative thinker I was.. :cry:

Anyway, having looked at it (i.e. read the documentation) it does pretty much everything I wanted it to (save a couple of things which I'll keep to myself!) Annoyingly, it even costs much less than the bits I would have needed for a prototype..So I'm probably going to buy one..If there is enough interest on here I might try and set up a group buy (to add insult to injury they are about 2 miles from where I work).

I would be interested to know how this would hold up in a court of law or against a fraudulent insurance claim. It would need also an Insurance Company who were sufficiently clued-up to effectively prosecute and deal with the evidence. AF seem to be pretty clued-up so I might give them a ring and ask there opinion to see what, if any difference it would make.

I'm also aware that this could be a double edged sword; IF I got involved in an accident and it was my fault AND my Insurance company/Rozzers/Other party got wind of it, it could be much more difficult.

The other factor is that it would be excellent for trackdays, so it would kill two birds with one stone for me.

Opinions please, preferably backed with facts! :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Hi Kendal, there are many such items on the market, i believe that the majority are limited to forward or rear facing cameras, in law i would not mention it unless after an accident you had recorded one person getting out from a car and there was suddenly a claim from several people who claimed to be in a car, so it is good reason for it would be proof of responsibility, say if someone reversed into you and claimed you had driven into the back of them. There are numerous reasons for having such a device fitted and i have looked into buying such a device myself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi, very handy to have, I had road rage incident and they blamded on me. so been thinking about such a system myself. I would go for a couple of hd bullet cams and the Archos recorder (with sound) also handy for track days.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, very handy to have, I had road rage incident and they blamded on me. so been thinking about such a system myself. I would go for a couple of hd bullet cams and the Archos recorder (with sound) also handy for track days.
That's not a bad Idea and the nice thing about the Archos is that you could use it for other things, although that does sound quite expensive and wouldn't have the integrated GPS..

·
Registered
290 Posts
I believe insurance companies use these types of things in america, I remember seeing a "police, camera, action" type show on tv where they showed fottage from some of them to show what they do.
I came accross as an item that was built in/placed alongside the rear view mirror and had forward and rear facing cameras. the camera would store the last minute of footage if it detected an impact or the driver pressed a save button.

Apparently it was saving a lot of people a lot of money because they could see the actual crash.

I think its great if it will save money and make it easier to resolve claims. obviously as mentioned the legallities and willingness of the UK and its insurance companies would need to be checked

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking for something like that a few years back.

But more for posting the antics of the locals on YouTube than anything else. :lol:

Fujitsu Ten unveils DREC1000 in-car accident recorder -- Engadget
Ha, I know what you mean, I saw at Kia Minivan thing totally lose it on the motorway the other day and it would be have definitely worth saving/sharing..I'm on that website all the time, but obviously missed that in 2006 tho! Can't seem to find any English-Language sites for that one tho..

N

·
0 Posts
Nah it seems to be Japanese market only. Shame. :(

They're upto DREC3500 and there's also a DREC100 mini one too.

;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Insurance companies should offer a discount for having a system like this if it's going to prevent fraudulent claims.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts