Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning.
My wife and I are thinking about changing our car, so I have been spending far too much time watching reviews on utube.
Carwow.com seems to do more than other companies and in all their reviews they say visit their site to get offers on new cars.
So I did, I entered all of my preferences, brand ,model, spec, colour and options, I then received 5 prices from reputable dealers from around the country.
What I couldn't understand was, even with just over £1000 worth of extras the lowest offer I got back was £5000 (15.7%) lower than the RRP,
I appreciate I could have haggled a discount if I had simply walked in off the street, but this is still substantially lower than the sticker price.
Being a suspicious type of bloke I think there must be a catch, so I wonder if anyone on here has used carwow before and has a story to tell about it, or maybe you were going to use them but found some information that changed your mind. Maybe a friend or colleague used or was thinking of using them.
Any information would help, but can you state whether you know it to be fact, rumour or opinion as we are seriously considering their offer.
many thanks, Mick.

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
The dealer pays the site £300 or so for the customer lead. There’s no catch except you’d save £300 if you haggled the same price in person. Cars are generally sold on lease or PCP so as you’re effectively paying the depreciation , say 50% of list price, a discount will have “double” the monthly effect on your repayment. If the list price came down then you’d get a residual of half the new lower price. The car makers have got themselves in a trap as long as cars are sold on the current finance ideas. BMW has said they could still break even if they sold at half price so the cars they get back after 3 years to sell again are listed at what they could’ve charged originally.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer pays the site £300 or so for the customer lead. There’s no catch except you’d save £300 if you haggled the same price in person. Cars are generally sold on lease or PCP so as you’re effectively paying the depreciation , say 50% of list price, a discount will have “double” the monthly effect on your repayment. If the list price came down then you’d get a residual of half the new lower price. The car makers have got themselves in a trap as long as cars are sold on the current finance ideas. BMW has said they could still break even if they sold at half price so the cars they get back after 3 years to sell again are listed at what they could’ve charged originally.

Hi cue.
I'm even more baffled now. The price's they offered me were cash prices not PCP/lease deals.
Otherwise what you are saying makes sense, thanks for that.
Mick.

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
Curious. The dealers get a monthly bonus if they reach targets based on sales volumes so that may finance, for them, the deal. I wouldn’t buy a car for cash right at the moment and I could if I needed. The maximum deposit brings the monthly down and gives you some certainty that it’s worth something. I reckon the guaranteed values for current sales are not something the makers want to underwrite so getting a car off their stock lists and future liabilities appeals at the moment.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I used Carwow 3 years ago for buying my current Giulia. I went for PCP with a decent deposit mainly to get the biggest discount which was 15% at that time as the car was just released. Others have bought via Carwow and have managed even bigger PCP discounts up to 20% or more. Cash purchase discounts tend to be lower, about half as much as PCP discounts which usually include a 'dealer and/or manufacturer' finance contribution. Most car makes on Carwow, Orangewheels and few other such websites work on the same principle. Some makes offer similar discounts for both finance and cash purchase which like Cue2 said could be to reduce current built stock or meet sales targets. Either way you can trust Carwow and buy it without hesitation, people I know have done and continue to do so without any issues. If you are so inclined, you can take the best Carwow price to your local delaer and ask if they can price match (my local dealer did). Depending on their drive to meet targets, most usually match it close enough which would avoid you travelling further away for the better deal. In the current market, you are better off buying it on PCP for the best discount and pay it off early if you wish to do so.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Also buy at the right time....When I was selling new VW and Audis a few of my more knowledgeable customers would only come in at towards the end of the quarters....knowing I has a quarterly target to achieve. If I had got my target already they gained nothing but if not ….or better still if it was the last day of the quarter and I was just one car short that customer would get a great deal....often two or three grand less than COST....because once sold ALL the cars I had sold in the quarter would get a bonus paid to the dealer.....often several hundred pounds per unit. Over perhaps 100 cars that's a lot of money.....more than worth while loosing a few grand on one or two cars!! Things have changed since I sold cars for a living......but I bet similar principles car still apply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can recommend carwow here. It avoids having to play the negotiation game - I don’t have time for that! Bought my Q just before Xmas via carwow ( did use finance too ). I put my spec in - it came back with prices and handily those with similar spec in stock to consider. I went for an in stock in the end( brand new unregistered) as I could have it sooner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As above - timing also key- car industry as a whole is struggling to shift anything with brexit , EV vs petrol vs diesel etc. My best price was from a dealer one car away from a dec target just before Xmas

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have used the Carwow price a few times in past 3 or 4 years and then used them to buy direct either from cheapest garage or another. However, I now feel that the industry has caught on and my last 4 purchases I managed to beat the Carwow price by quite a lot, most recently by 2k on a Merc GLA for my other half 3 months ago.

Use Carwow as a minimum discount benchmark.

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
The German manufacturers Audi, BMW and Mercedes are in a sales war at the end of each year to get the best stats whatever it takes whether it’s overall leader in volume, best increase from previous year etc. If you want a BMW at the end of the year there’s funding to get that car on the road, or the forecourt.
BMW is being investigated by the US Securities and Exchange Commission over its sales reporting practices such as “punching” which is registering cars supposedly to lend to customers while their cars are in for warranty work.
A friend was saying recently how many nearly-new Audis had appeared on the dealer forecourt locally. They have a large fleet of loan cars which are then closed auctioned at very low prices to subsidise the dealers businesses according to an Audi dealer mechanic who’s son is a friend of my son.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like the best thing to do is use the carwow offer and work down from there, thanks chaps.
Mick.

·
Registered
33,257 Posts
If you have an Alfa currently there’s an allowance the dealer can give you, I believe.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morning.
In the end I bought a Mitsubishi, through Carwow. It should have been £33000 and I paid £28000, so I saved 5 grand.
The whole process went very smoothly and not once did I feel like I was being treated any different to a customer who had simply walked in off the street.
After entering my preferences into carwow I received 5 offers from various dealers from around the country.
Not only was the nearest to me the cheapest, they were also carwows most recommended dealer for that particular manufacturer. So I went to Livery Dole in Exeter and did the deal.
I not only will use carwow again, I would recommend them too.
Although I imagine you could haggle with the dealer and get £5000 off the sticker price if you were so inclined,
I just do not feel comfortable doing that sort of thing, so doing it this way saved me the aggravation.
many thanks, Mick.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I used them to buy my current Merc. My previous car (an old CLK) I just sold privately as it was worth two tenths of ****all.
I got a healthy discount (forget exactly how much but it was good).

PS The swear word checker on here is **** (none existent) and lets nearly everything through.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used them to buy my current Merc. My previous car (an old CLK) I just sold privately as it was worth two tenths of ****all.
I got a healthy discount (forget exactly how much but it was good).

PS The swear word checker on here is **** (none existent) and lets nearly everything through.
I have no complaints at all, everything went as smooth as silk.
I will use Carwow again with no hesitation.
Mick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts