Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate them!

First I ran out of petrol, except I didn't, it was the death throes of the fuel pump. I didn't know this at the time and left it on my driveway and went on holiday. When I came back, I was dicking about with it and managed to lock the keys in it so I had to call the breakdown people to come and break in.

Having established that it was the fuel pump, after lots of farting around with part numbers and establishing that things with different part numbers are actually the same, I bought a pump on ebay. You've already read the debacle of that pump and its trip from Staffordshire to Manchester before the courier determined it was dangerous and put it in isolation in Surrey.

I bought another pump on Saturday and put it in the car and found that the battery had gone flat. I charged it up and on Saturday night and the car ran for the first time since the beginning of August.

Sunday morning the battery was flat again and now it won't accept a charge at all. It's been on all night and is showing less charge than the old battery that's been in the garage for 5 years.

When it's been tested it's going on ebay. I swear it knows and is digging its (w)heels in.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Come on mate. we all know batteries die if they are left on cars for a long period of time without being started. :( Don't get rid of it

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on mate. we all know batteries die if they are left on cars for a long period of time without being started. :( Don't get rid of it
It was going anyway. It is of no use for domestic purposes as it's too small (son is nearly as tall as daughter who is as tall as wife and none of them fit comfortably behind the driver's seat with me in it, and that's before we get to the dog), and I don't use it for work because I'm tired of 40 minutes in traffic there and back at 25mpg then paying to park when I get here.

Keeping it isn't an option because it won't fit in the garage and it's in the way on the drive so when it gets an MoT it gets sold and replaced with a big old Volvo wagon.I really need an estate for dog transport and holiday purposes, a diesel SW is out of my price range (and still isn't really big enough).

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Broken car syndrome. Not a happy place to be.

I hope you get sorted and keep the faith KB but I can feel your pain from here mate.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It was going anyway. It is of no use for domestic purposes as it's too small (son is nearly as tall as daughter who is as tall as wife and none of them fit comfortably behind the driver's seat with me in it, and that's before we get to the dog), and I don't use it for work because I'm tired of 40 minutes in traffic there and back at 25mpg then paying to park when I get here.

Keeping it isn't an option because it won't fit in the garage and it's in the way on the drive so when it gets an MoT it gets sold and replaced with a big old Volvo wagon.I really need an estate for dog transport and holiday purposes, a diesel SW is out of my price range (and still isn't really big enough).
Yeah I've seen your posts over the months regarding MPG etc and the fact that the car isn't earning it's keep :(. Yes you are right the diseasel wagon is just as small inside. although the dog issues would be solved. I know they fetch good money as they are actually a reliable tool. I've been made some fantastic offeres for mine considering it is a 165,000 mile car :lol: Perhaps you could get the good people of AO to go hunting if you did want an SW. LJ_GTA relentlessly searched for a GTA for me so I know people are entusiastic about helping others. Volvo wagon isn't a bad car mind :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I've seen your posts over the months regarding MPG etc and the fact that the car isn't earning it's keep :(. Yes you are right the diseasel wagon is just as small inside. although the dog issues would be solved. I know they fetch good money as they are actually a reliable tool. I've been made some fantastic offeres for mine considering it is a 165,000 mile car :lol: Perhaps you could get the good people of AO to go hunting if you did want an SW. LJ_GTA relentlessly searched for a GTA for me so I know people are entusiastic about helping others. Volvo wagon isn't a bad car mind :)
I'm reconciled to getting rid now I think and, for the moment, a Volvo wagon ticks all the boxes whilst an SW ticks only some of them. Fuel consumption is no longer an issue as the 156 has only done 2500 miles since the last MoT and I'll probably do less next year. I will be sad to see it go but I will come back to the fold at some point. Maybe a GTV or 155 project would be nice.

Things are improving slightly though. I got it started on jump leads last night (really easily) and ran it up to temperature. I shut it down after 10 minutes or so and there was enough juice in the batt to start it up again. I imagine it'll be flat tonight but I'm beginning to suspect my ancient battery charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts