Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CARS DON'T HAVE SOUL

Not Alfas. Not Ferrari's. Not TVR's or Astons. Not any car or marque.

Some are old, and feel very different than a modern equivalent. This is not soul. It's a part of older build quality/technique.

Some have shakes and squeaks and bangs and clonks. This is not soul. It is part of shoddy build or age-worn parts.

Some make you smile when you nail the throttle or take a smooth line around a bend. This is not soul. This is simple good engineering coupled with spirited technique.

And modern cars, mass produced by robots, most certainly don't have soul. Again, I include the much loved legendary Italian marques in that statement.

Anyone using a statement like 'I love my Alfa, it's got Soul' or 'I Don't like Jap cars, they've got no soul' Should recieve an automatic infraction. Preferably a ban :rant:

That is all.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
In a good mood today HST?

I don't think cars have soul but I do think different cars can do different things for different people. Depends what you want and how you drive. Might not have soul but I do think Alfas have something about them that gets under your skin.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Whether it's described as soul or not - that you don't get it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
note to self

don't accept a lift from V6hughes

if he has that in the glovebox god only knows what's in the boot. Some things might be better off unsaid.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What HST said, every word of it.

Cars should not have pet names either, especially female ones - for they are not at all like women. For example they (cars) respond positively to preventative maintenance, behave predictably when in good condition, and poitively thrive on regular spanking.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I guess I relate in part, if not wholly with HST's sentiments. When all is finally said and done, they are in the main, welded and bolted together pieces of metal! Some may of course be mixed variations on a plastic theme with a metal underlay structure. People only have soul, thank goodness.:D Or some appear to? :lol: I love my soul, I think ? :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whether it's described as soul or not - that you don't get it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)
I get it alright. My 200SX had 'traits' that, were the car to have had an italian marques badge on the bonnet, would definitely have been described by some as 'Soul'

Except that was a jap car, and therefor, according to those same people, completely unable to have such foibles. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a car can affect emotion by the way it performs what some consider to be a mundane job...

It's looks can create a yearning as easily as creating envy

It's sound can aurally stimulate as easily as it can offend

the way a car handles thought a series of corners can give a driver confidence and inspire then, and handled incorrectly can cause loss of control and ultimately destruction...

What is Soul, how would describe the 'soul' of something?

once you have quantified that then you can go some way to justifying if a car has soul or not

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
I get it alright. My 200SX had 'traits' that, were the car to have had an italian marques badge on the bonnet, would definitely have been described by some as 'Soul'

Except that was a jap car, and therefor, according to those same people, completely unable to have such foibles. ;)
You just describe it differently, that's all. Basically, you're an un-feeling automaton whereas we're all in connection with our spiritual side:p

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
This car has no soul, but a very big heart? Shame it's arteries are a bit blocked and it requires open heart surgery, or a transplant. I think Jthe L's poem of yesterday summed this one up nicely. Likened unto an old car our bodies are. Components gradually wearing out and ultimately just decaying away on the scrap heap.

But my soul will live on I hope, not least in the memories my children and grand children may keep of me? Do I remember that soulless 'E' type? Nope! It may of had a new body fitted with the old external cadaver being scrapped I suppose, or just crushed and cremated by now? Come speak to me spirit of my old 'E' :inlove: Seance in the offing? :lol: :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, some examples i have dug up from the net

the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life
person: a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
deep feeling or emotion
another

is typically thought to consist of ones consciousness and personality
and another

Guidance on self-expression and self-care through creativity and reflection.
It's also cultivating healthy relationships with communication.
:confused:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
It's a bit like the wind I guess. You can sense it, watch it's power, but you can't physically see it? Maybe you may be able to smell it's aroma sometimes? HM? :D

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
This car has character too? Sad it's of a wayward nature, and really needs locking up to ensure the safety of Joe Public? :(:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.