Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I love the styling of my 156, it's one of the main reasons I bought it and I don't believe it could be improved on but I am obviously too easily pleased as some people continue to 'hone' it's design.
Let me explain, I've cleaned my car this week and found another amatuer stylist's attempt at 'improving' the bodywork of my car, some fat arsed slack elbowed nerk felt another stylistic 'highlight' was needed on the flanks to catch the eye so they added a nice litte crease/dent with the modern panel beaters tool of choice, their car door edge!! Now as I said I'm perfectly happy with what the Italians were content to sign-off as complete, but there are obviously some people who are not able to leave something as important as the design of my car to some designer suited pensmith from Italy, noooo these cretins think my pride and joy would look far more appealing if it resembled a bloody golf ball! I'm beginning to wonder where this might end, will I return one day from doing some shopping to find that one of these types has taken it into their mind that the design envelope needs to be pushed even further? I can see myself emerging with my latest purchase sometime soon to find a nice vinyl roof kit or white-wall tyres adorning my car as someone thought a nice bit of retro might add a certain something to the design!! I really don't know what to do to hide the 'eyesore' that is my car from these aesthetes, I used to park out of the way across 2 bays in car parks, but someone at work received a fixed penalty notice for doing the same, oh yes it was wriiten on the Terms and Conditions in the car park, and this is widespread practice as I have now noticed in many carparks, even parking accross two bays used to cause concern though as people who have seen me do it have said they would, "Deliberately scratch a car taking two bays", now I know that mostly this will be bravado, but for every hundred self appointed opinion givers there will be one Richard head who would follow through on their promise. My latest plan is to park right on the line of 'my' bay therefore leaving plenty of room on one side and no room the other, but I still have a nagging doubt someone will squeeze in. So I ask you, what is the answer? Is there a car I could buy that this considered so perfect that it doesn't require additional tweaks, or am I to get my own back by watching for these wassocks, then following them home and returning by night as an amatuer architect to improve their homes by epoxying garden gnomes or suchlike in the middle of their drives?! Rant over.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I'd still park across two bays at the farthest end of the car park. Taking a fixed penalty would still be cheaper and less upsetting than getting out the dents...
But if you do that you just wind people up and if anything they will be more inclined to go out of their way and smack their door into yours...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought, maybe internet shopping was designed by someone who had the same issue?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Park as far away from the store as possible.
This will serve two purposes:
1. The underachievers in the human race never park there - they'd sooner park in the pick up area - while they go in to buy their fags & trashy mags.
2. When leaving the store, you get to spend longer admiring your car as you walk back to it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
1. The underachievers in the human race never park there - they'd sooner park in the pick up area - while they go in to buy their fags & trashy mags.
2. When leaving the store, you get to spend longer admiring your car as you walk back to it.
Yes and yes.

Notice how its always fat people who park closest :thumbs:

B

·
0 Posts
:lol:

I thought it was just me who had these type of thoughts.

I used to park in the furthest away space and walk to the supermarket (it feels like I walk about 2 miles while I'm in there anyway - so another 50 yards won't hurt). However, I began to experience something weird. I would often return to my car only to see some freak had parked right beside me!!!! Just my car and their car side by side in isolation.

This happened a few times (Are these people part of some sub culture and do this as a hobby? Is there a website for these people who park right up to anal car owners who would rather not have a needless ding in their pride and joy?)

When I go to the supermarket now, I park across the road in a car park which belonged to a closed down furniture store. People look at me with my trolly of groceries, walking through a half empty supermarket car park and then crossing the road to another carpark. I can see them thinking " where is that weirdo going with a full trolly, in the pouring rain. Is he going to walk all the way home......?" It's them who are weird, not me - it's them I tell you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I double bay park all the time when in the Alfa but always away from the main areas, it’s been known many a time for me to return only to find that someone in a big van or 4x4 has parked right next to me, it happened on Saturday I was in Tesco parked in a single bay nice and straight came out and there was a old merc parked at a angle across the bay right next to the passenger door even my 15 year old daughter couldn’t squeeze in, so how the hell did they get out without hitting my car,luckly it was my old 4x4 so it didn’t matter I was tempted to drag the bull bars along the side as I drove out.
Some choice words come to mind for the ignorant-stupid-lazy morons that do this, how hard is it to park straight

·
Banned
112 Posts
Nicely worded rant :thumbs:

Always park at the end of a row, that way only one side of you car is exposed to potential damage by morons.

Secondly, ensure you park either dead on the line or even just just over it, so you leave as much room as possible to the car on the other side.

ALways check what you are parking next to; a battered old shed implies that if the owner doesn't care about their own car, why would they care about yours ? The worst is anything with a baby/child seat in it; you can guarantee they will be opening their door wide open to gain access and strap the little princess in - avoid !

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
If I have to park next to someone I pick an expensive car on the assumption that they might care about bumps and bashes too.

M

·
0 Posts
As extreme as it sounds, I bought an old banger to get around the problem of my GTA getting damaged when parking. The only problem is that my old Mondeo is actually mint.....well she was until someone committed a hit and run and left a great hole in her bumper.
I'm as careful about parking the Ford as I was about the GTA......but damage to the Ford is a LITTLE easier to accept.

B

·
0 Posts
I think people just don't give a **** when they think nobody can see them. I work in an office and there are several businesses either side of us where people come and go all day. Mostly, people are very cautious when parking and opening doors etc - I think it's because they can see all the large windows of our office and the other businesses "looking" at them.

My 1st Alfa was a red 156 Veloce T Spark with teledials (a peach and still the best car I ever had), it was a long time before I was able to afford it and it took a similar length of time to find it - within 2 months some ****wit in a hotel car park opened their door into my rear drivers door with what must have been considerable force.

I had to pay out to get it repaired and was extremely hacked off - now I just don't use car parks at all if possible.

I went on a business trip with my boss a while back and I parked about 100m from the nearest car in the airport car park - he just kept looking at me as I drove "into the distance" - I told him if he wanted to be closer to the terminal he should have brought his own car - like it or lump it.

Long stay airport car parks are my worst nightmare, the last time I left my car in one, despite the fact there were plenty of spaces available, I parked my car on a grass bank next to a lone black 159 Ti - I parked up beside it and looked at the 159 and thought "attaboy".

·
Banned
112 Posts
I went on a business trip with my boss a while back and I parked about 100m from the nearest car in the airport car park - he just kept looking at me as I drove "into the distance" - I told him if he wanted to be closer to the terminal he should have brought his own car - like it or lump it.

Long stay airport car parks are my worst nightmare, the last time I left my car in one, despite the fact there were plenty of spaces available, I parked my car on a grass bank next to a lone black 159 Ti - I parked up beside it and looked at the 159 and thought "attaboy".
I always use Business Parking; doesn't cost much more and you get a bit closer to the airport. Plus you get a better class of car/driver - never had any issues :)

Actually, anyone here used Business Parking at Heathrow T5 ? Really cool Pods to the terminal !

B

·
0 Posts
I always use Business Parking; doesn't cost much more and you get a bit closer to the airport. Plus you get a better class of car/driver - never had any issues :)

Hey Eddie Baby, don't be fooled by that "better class of car/driver" mubo-jumbo. I nearly got my leg broken by an OAP opening the door of a convertible XK8 at my local garden centre!! :eek:

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
I have to admit that when I had my old battle scarred Series 111 Landrover I'd seek out the smartest car parked in the furthest corner and park right next to it. I always left a decent gap but, from a distance, you wouldn't know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts