Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fit new mounts to the Weber carbs on my '75 GT Junior, ( the rubber is leaking).
Should I wait until the garage I use can do it, which could be a while considering the current situation with Covid, or is it something I can do without messing anything else up. I'm fairly spanner literate, but don't want to take on something that gets me in a mess. Any pitfalls to look out for? Tia.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you're not au fait with rebalancing carburettors, then leave it alone. After fitting either new rubber mounts, or even the aluminium billet mounts for the first time, you WILL need to rebalance the carbs.
If you're ok with carb balancing, You will need to :-
Partially drain the coolant to get the level below the cylinder head.
Remove air filter & air box. (Filter plenum), including carb "stay" support from engine mount bracket.
Remove carbs
Remove throttle rods from throttle quadrant.
Remove inlet manifold,
Remove old mounts from inlet manifold.
Fit new mounts to manifold, with new gaskets.
Refit inlet manifold with new gasket.
Fit carbs to new rubber mounts with new gaskets, OR if you go for billet mounts, fit carbs to new mounts with O rings provided.
Refill coolant, run engine until thermostat opens, then rebalance carbs preferably with a synchrometer.
Refit stay support.
Refit air filter box.
Refit air filter.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I refitted mine with the aluminium mounts, Alfaholics (pipercross) filter and it is soooooooooooo much better. Sweet sound and lots of weight loss. I also replaced the throttle rod (plus bush, again Alfaholics). It took about 3 months to get it right in terms of balancing but what else is there to do other than tweaking a lovely old Alfa. Oh and you will need an oil catch tank too.
I am so glad I did it and apparently the rubbers just break down again later.

Alfaholics - reassuringly expensive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alphamale - it's not a difficult job. Just take your time. Nice project to have during Covid-19 measures. Remember to disconnect the battery first though otherwise you could touch the starter solenoid with a spanner accidently, and that will provide a moment of excitement! What you're changing won't interfear with the carb balance dramatically, it will run well enough but it is always better to get them set up dynamically on a rolling road by somebody who knows what they are doing anyway. You can only do so much with carb tuning with the car at tickover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts