Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have had a few issues recently with my Nord 105 engine.
  • uneven and sputtering acceleration
  • 'popping' from exhaust
  • spitting from carbs

this doesn't appear to happen everytime i am in the car. Some days it runs fine, other days, usually when cold, it has this problem
i noticed when checking the timing, that there appeared to be some fuel leaking from the front Dellorto (40) carb. i have only seen this occur once.
Could this be the reason for the aforementioned issues? Perhaps the engine is being flooded?
If this is the case, am guessing something is getting stuck 'on' in the Carburetor. As i know very little about carburetors other than the basics, can anyone please point me towards a good starting point i.e. a potential cause and a good link on how to fix it. Could something else be the cause?

Please note: timing appears correct, dwell is checked and spark plugs replaced with gap set.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I'm not an expert, but the carbs could need cleaning, it only needs a mm of dirt or something to cause a blockage.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the float chamber. Possibly faulty float, stuck or worn float valve, or, as duemila said, just a bit of dirt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The two items that wear on carbs are the spindles/bearings (they are very well made in your dellortos) and the the float needle valve (which is much more likely). Leaking carbs could well be dirt but likely to be wear - other symptoms are a sort of blobbing sound when you hold the revs up (difficult to explain). Take the top of the carbs off, remove the pin that holds the float and unscrew the valve. Be very careful you don't break anything. Look for a ridge at the top of cone that fits into valve housing. It is impossible to tune a car if the valves are worn.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts