Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in touch with AMT Composites based in Maitland main road with regard to carbon skinning kits. I would like to buy a kit and apply it to some areas on my GTV and did a cost enquiry on the price, and found that it is actually very reasonably priced.

The carbon fibre twill per square meter is R300 and the resin kit is around R600 for the gel and hardener. I was thinking:
On the GTV I would like to do the front cup fenders, mirrors and boot spoiler that I have lying at home for the past 3 years. It will require about 2 sqm (basically only to cover the boot spoiler in a single mat) with over enough left over for the front fenders and mirrors.

My only issue with this is, I am planning to do this myself, and the resin is messy so if I get it wrong, my car might be ruined :paperbag:

What do you all think about it? AMT Composites

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do not do it! You will end up with the rough dimpled weave pattern on top that will take ages to finish if with lots of sanding after layer and layer of clear coat applied on top of it.

It only works well when done in a mold, and then you need to know what you are doing. We work with this stuff every day.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Why not have those parts hydrodipped in a carbon fibre design?

Reactions: scrgdk

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not do it! You will end up with the rough dimpled weave pattern on top that will take ages to finish if with lots of sanding after layer and layer of clear coat applied on top of it.

It only works well when done in a mold, and then you need to know what you are doing. We work with this stuff every day.
Damn. What a let-down!

Why not have those parts hydrodipped in a carbon fibre design?
I would prefer the authentic look.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Authentic look" is a bit of an oxymoron, right :jester: ?
well actually in this case it is real carbon fibre mat. You just have a different resin and it's not baked in a vacuum so it is more "authentic" than "look".

Best oxymorons I ever came across:

Plastic glasses
Political Asylum (The House of Parliament is a Political Asylum. For mentally infirm politicians :cheese: )
Military Intelligence :cheese:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Other oxymorons....

Ugly Alfa Romeo
BMW indicator
Good Tata

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Why not find out what it would cost to get your parts made up in CF rather, by doing the CF "look" you are basically going against what the purpose is. You are adding weight to a light weight car by adding more "light weight materials". Mirror and spoiler yes, fenders no. I'd rather get them done in proper CF than "wrap" the fenders. You are going for form over function, this isn't like you Ian, do you have bad whiplash from the GTV? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Other oxymorons....

Ugly Alfa Romeo
BMW indicator
Good Tata
Those wouldn't be oxymorons. An oxymoron is a figure of speech which does make sense, but at first glance appears to be contradictory.

So for those to be oxymorons, it would have to be the case that Alfa Romeos are actually ugly, that BMWs are known for indicator-use and that Tatas are actually good, but that none of these situations appear to be the case initially.

An oxymoron would be saying: "Reliable Alfa Romeo", because to many people it would appear to be not true, while in fact it can be true.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Those wouldn't be oxymorons. An oxymoron is a figure of speech which does make sense, but at first glance appears to be contradictory.

So for those to be oxymorons, it would have to be the case that Alfa Romeos are actually ugly, that BMWs are know for indicator-use and that Tatas are actually good, but that none of these situations appear to be the case initially.

An oxymoron would be saying: "Reliable Alfa Romeo", because to many people it would appear to be not true, while in fact it can be true.
Like easygoing pedant :biglaugh:...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts