Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Follow up thread:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/287185-dont-use-carbon-fibre-vinyl-wrap.html

Decided to put my money where my mouth is and made my first carbon fibre test part.
I used a Helicopter canopy, rather than test on the £25,000.00 Giulietta.

The results are 80% perfect, its difficult to get a complete smooth surface, even after 4 days sanding and resin, if you look close up its not perfect, but thats probably me, but the look is fantastic, and is as strong as a very strong thing, made with strongs, by Mr Strong.

The canopy is a complex shape, on straighter surfaces the results are much better.
Its time consuming and hard work, but it does work.
With more practice i feel i can get better results.
I made a slight mistake, not letting the undercoat cure to a tack, was a bit too keen, it can seep through the fabric.
Its also critical you place the fibre so it does not bridge any gaps(you can see my mistake in side on pictures).
Next time i will use a small roller.

In summary, as long as you dont look close up the results are good.
If you look very close up you can see its not perfect, but that could be my error.
Any part you skin with more than a slight curvature will be difficult to get perfect results.
The cost is reasonable, £50.00 to skin two mirrors.

Would i ever consider using 3m vinyl wrap on my Giulietta Cloverleaf after seeing the real thing,
not on your nelly, use the real thing, no question.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Nice job,

I fancied having a go at making some carbon bits for my GTA, more performance orientated though like air intakes and stuff. Carbon Mods is a cracking site for resources.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea i thought of the plastic engine cover, be sure to use the high temerature resin.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yeah I have the skinning kit in the garage. Keep meaning to do something with it! :lol: Looks good. shame you are having issues with smoothness :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts