Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I own a 2004 156 jts and I absolutely love it.
I have read about carbon issues with this engine and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using aerosol products like crc, seafoam, liquidmolly, etc?

I am looking at using the products which are sprayed through the air intake and throttle body and into the engine.
I know they will not completely remove carbon deposits, but how is your experience with them?

Also, do I need to change the oil immediately after using these treatments?

Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
There are a lot of direct injection engine out there now, and a lot of products to cater for that market of intake cleaning.

I personally have not used them, as none of my cars are direct injection. I use throttle body cleaner to clean the throttle body and MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor that always works well for me. I have used CRC products for those, a little more expensive but those cans at least last for multiple cars. I'm thinking that with the intake cleaner cans you are instructed to use the whole can, but it will probably vary depending on product.

I don't think you need to change the oil afterwards, but it may vary depending on product. I would tie it in with an oil change a week or so after as part of a service package, along with throttle body clean, MAF clean and air filter replacement if required.

·
Registered
615 Posts
When using any form of aerosol "Upper Engine/Intake Cleaner" you MUST change the engine oil afterwards as the product "Poisons" the oil with bypass of the product past the rings. Also a quantity of the muck you are removing gets into the oil as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When using any form of aerosol "Upper Engine/Intake Cleaner" you MUST change the engine oil afterwards as the product "Poisons" the oil with bypass of the product past the rings. Also a quantity of the muck you are removing gets into the oil as well.
Thanks for that. I was planning to do the intake clean and than change the oil next day.

I am not too keen on trying to clean the MAF as I might cause issues myself.

Bazz, can I take the air intake of the throttle body and then spray inside of it as the engine is revved? Or should I try to use one of those thin tube dispensers that attach to the can and loosen up the air intake slightly and spray it onto the throttle that way?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
IF you want to see if the product is effective and you have a diagnostic programme such as MES, you can get a maximum airflow reading from the MAF which will display it as aspirated air in KG/HR. It should happen where the engine makes maximum power (6400rpm). If it works, you will have a higher airflow figure afterwards and possibly at a higher engine speed (up to 6400rpm). You need full throttle to measure it though and you make not like to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts