Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
159 2.4 jtdm, 57 plate.

Odd behaviour this morning - not sure if this has been caused by the car sitting in the snow all weekend, although it was fine last year during the more prolonged cold snap.

First of all the car wouldn't start at all - almost like there was no fuel getting through. Then it did start but I had any mumber of warning messages show up - anti pollution filter clogged, excessive radiator fluid, ABS not available etc etc. I left the car running for a few minutes to warm up and then turned it off. The car then started fine but has the 'have engine checked' warning showing.

I decided to drive the wife's car into work as don't want to risk doing any damage to mine.

Is this something that other people have experienced? I was thinking perhaps it may be to do with needing a new battery (not been changed in > 4 years)?

Hope it isn't anything too serious!

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I'd say battery too, they are fussy about having the correct voltage & act weird like yours has when this isn't the case

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So of I replace the battery would I still need to get the engine light re-set or would this automatically go off? The more I think about it the more I think it must be the battery - presumably other (mechanical) things don't usually go wrong with a car when it is just sat there in the cold?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
December last year my 08 159 ti was becoming more and more problematic when starting...so much so that I was getting really worried about the start motor burning out. I also used to get all sorts of stupid messages such as "ABS unavailable please consult your handbook" or something along those lines.

Basically after perusing this forum I came to the assumption that the supplied batteries in the Alfa 159s are quite underpowered. So I bought a Bosch Silver from Halfords for about £126. Has a 5yr guarantee, 780 Amps start up power as opposed to the 400 Amps in the original Alfa Romeo battery.

My car now starts instantly, I never receive any more error messages and I've left it stood still for 12 days for me to come back and again it starts instantly.

Basically in my humble opinion the supplied batteries in Alfa 159's are crap. Cheap and underpowered, particularly for the bigger Alfa engines such as the 2.4 diesel.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have had the issue starting when really cold, but when i turn off and start up again, it never had 'have engine checked' lit up. I would leave it for a bit and start it up again to see if it goes away. If you keep having issues starting in the mornings, then as above probably need a new battery.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried it again when I got in from work. Didn't start on first attempt - the engine fires but then dies, as if no fuel getting thru'. Started straight after that though, although got the multiple warning messages again and the engine light has stayed on.

I will try the replcement battery route - I'd have thought the random messages and odd behaviour all point to the battery.

I don't need the car until the wekend so will order one online and fit on Saturday. This sounds stupid but I have never changed a battery before (not on a modern car anyway) - anyhting I should know/particular tools required?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that standard batteries in 159 diesels are not good enough. I will replace the one in my car for a bigger one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have similar issues at the moment, it will randomly start then on cold days turnover but not catch and start., mines an auto to. I have also had the funny abs message on my dash, I did aim to get new battery but garage said it wasnt the one that they had listed for the car!!! Then they checked battery out and test said it was fine and has been fine for a while but this morning on a slightly cold day didnt start!!!!

I dont suppose you could let me know the battery you got and where from and the price?? Also was it easy to fit as here there is a difficult screw to remove around the back!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cheated and got the RAC to fit one as I too had seen on here that they were a pig to fit. I wish I hadn't as it seemed really easy to replace - no awkward screws at all. Perhaps it is different for different engine variants?

They fitted a Bosch S4. I paid just over £100 which is a bit steep. I have seen a link on here where the same battery was about £70 ordered online with next day delivery.

It really has made a difference though, starts much easier and you can tell the battery has more power than the original.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine's started to have very similar "not liking the cold" symptoms, may I ask how much you paid for the battery and what did you get?
See my previous post.
Whereabouts in Glos are you Natwest? I grew up in your neck of the woods - Wotton under Edge.:thumbs:

·
Registered
251 Posts
See my previous post.
Whereabouts in Glos are you Natwest? I grew up in your neck of the woods - Wotton under Edge.:thumbs:
I live in the cream-tea mecca that is Stow-on-the-wold
I'll do some internet clicking and also see what my trade card does for me at Halfords as I don't like the idea of paying £100 for a battery (despite the convenince of having AA turn up to do it :))

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I would have thought the first option is to prolong the use of the fitted battery
- Bat-Aid and Distilled water spring to mind!

FYI - My Halfords Trade card significantly reduced the battery price last time I had to fit one.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
December last year my 08 159 ti was becoming more and more problematic when starting...so much so that I was getting really worried about the start motor burning out. I also used to get all sorts of stupid messages such as "ABS unavailable please consult your handbook" or something along those lines.

Basically after perusing this forum I came to the assumption that the supplied batteries in the Alfa 159s are quite underpowered. So I bought a Bosch Silver from Halfords for about £126. Has a 5yr guarantee, 780 Amps start up power as opposed to the 400 Amps in the original Alfa Romeo battery.

My car now starts instantly, I never receive any more error messages and I've left it stood still for 12 days for me to come back and again it starts instantly.

Basically in my humble opinion the supplied batteries in Alfa 159's are crap. Cheap and underpowered, particularly for the bigger Alfa engines such as the 2.4 diesel.
Can you give the details of this battery so I can ensure I get the right one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts