Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't used my car for a week until last night when I took it out for a short drive (about 7 miles/20 minutes) and then home again a few hours later.

This morning I'm going to work, press the fob and the alarm beeps as if it's disarmed, but the central locking doesn't unlock. I do this a few times, turning the alarm on and off, but still doors remain locked.

Eventually I unlock the drivers door with the key, get in and try to start the ignition. As I turn the key, all the lights on the dashboard light up, but there's absolutely nothing from the engine.

Is this as simple as a flat battery?

If so, should I just bite the bullet and buy a new battery (it certainly hasn't been replaced in the four years I've owned it) or is it worth trying to charge it?

If it is new battery time, is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying one?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Two things to check to make sure its a battery. Does the simbol of car with a padlock go out? and when you try and start the car ( with door open so you can hear better) can you hear a click from the engine bay as the starter tries to rotate?

Also try cleaning the contacts on the battery with a bit of sandpaper/emry cloth. Both my 156 and 155's battery does it and causes the same problem where the car won't start.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Sounds like the battery.

I had this on my V6, I'd left the interior light on overnight and car wouldnt start. Same as you, all the lights come on but absolutely nothing from the starter, not even a click. I jump started it and it started straight away.

The batteries in this country just tend to fail all of a sudden due to the heat and it happened to me last night, left the car in the sun all day (40degC :tut: ) went to start it and same thing.

Not sure what to look for in a new battery except to get the same rating and position of the + and - . I just buy mine from the dealer here, about £50

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Personally I'd go for the one with the highest Ah..........around 70+ Ah

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
60 to 65ah. 65 is recommended for the 1.8ts to give you an idea.

C

·
0 Posts
take your battery to a garage for a free test first :cool: before you invest ! i bought a new battery for £89 on my old alfa to find out it was the relays and not the battery always best to check

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
a battery in the desert does not last long 4 years is tops !!!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
try one of those GermanSwedishFrench or Eurocarpart places, they do good prices on Bosch and Varta batteries, most batteries are generic and their catalogue will tell them which one fits, but take the handbook to be sure. As a rough guide my 145 2.0 with aircon, was £58 in Jan.

HTH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts