Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Qtronic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys I'm in need of help my 159 2.4 is not starting and is my only car.
Had to have it towed home from the beach.

In short; Car won't start, F03 blows when pressing start/stop button, gear lever gets stuck in Park.

I've tracked it down to the F03 maxi-fuse blowing (steering lock fuse). Anyone any experience with this and know where to start looking?

The fuse blows upon pressing the button to start the car. Once blown inserting the key fob in the slot gives no response and no dash lightup. Put in new fuse and insert the key - all lights up - thought my troubles were over. Press the button to start and fuse blows again, everything dead, no start up.

It is also worth noting once I got the accessories to light up with the new fuse, I had a flashing P, gearshift stuck in Park, and message "have gearbox checked" which was not present before the startup issue. Lever can be manually forced out of P, moves freely between R, N and D. Seizes again when put in Park.

Car has been driving perfect until this, Is there a relation between the gear lever being stuck and the Steering lock fuse F3 blowing upon trying to start the car? I fail to see how. Or is it two poorly timed but seperate issues? I'm lost with it.

In desperate need of help as trying to narrow down the problem, the car has already cost me since buying it. Love it but not when it doesn't start.

Cheers for any help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello,

Start with expecting wiring looms in the engine bay - there may be some damaged wires, which are causing short-circuit (which keep fuse popping).
Check all common grounding points, maybe clean from corrosion and apply some contact grease.

Also, what was suggested HERE - have someone check clockspring mechanism on the steering wheel itself.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The 2 issues will most likely be linked and as a result of loss of ignition after blowing the fuse. If no dash lights coming on then it’s safe to assume power to gearbox ECU is also lost.
So fuse 3 is for steering lock assembly does it control anything else? When you insert the key does dash come to life and if you press start button without foot on brake does ignition come on fully or does fuse still blow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts