Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of days my 1.9Jtdm has developed a problem with starting. When I start it the engine idles rough and will not rev at all! It sounds like it's not firing on all cylinders. After its idled for a bit (and cut out a few times) it responds to the throttle very sluggishly. There is very little power.

I have no EML though? Sometimes this seems to clear and run okay, sometimes it stays difficult to drive.

This evening it did this when is was leaving work, didn't clear up and by the time it got home it was rattling badly under load. It then died on my drive, thankfully, but wouldn't restart.

Help!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd read the guide before. I've cleaned the egr and it has the restrictor plates. MAP sensor has also been cleaned. Both of those were done before this problem occurred.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giblets I can only apologise. You were quite correct to point me to the guide. I removed the egr this evening and found it jammed open. Clearly I need to strip the solenoid and get it moving freely again. I'm amazed that it can cause such extreme symptoms and yet no EML. Clearly the ecu only detects problems when it is stuck shut, not the other way round.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Giblets I can only apologise. You were quite correct to point me to the guide. I removed the egr this evening and found it jammed open. Clearly I need to strip the solenoid and get it moving freely again. I'm amazed that it can cause such extreme symptoms and yet no EML. Clearly the ecu only detects problems when it is stuck shut, not the other way round.

No problem, it's frustrating the ECU doesn't notice it not working correctly. Once the solenoid is jammed you may as well buy a new one, it seems to get corroded. £75 on e-bay. But better off speaking to Autolusso and getting it blanked , for long term peace of mind and benefits (take a look at the condition of your MAP sensor, it's doing that to all your manifold! Plus some performance gains!) .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

Reactions: Bruce100

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to finish off this thread, I disconnected the egr wiring to stop it jamming open until I could strip and clean or replace the solenoid. on the way to work it went into limp mode. Car wouldn't rev above 2000rpm. When I got home this evening I stripped the egr down and gave it a really thorough clean with Mr Muscle. Cleaned and rinsed several times and then dried off in the oven. The solenoid was taken apart and all the internals cleaned, scrubbed and scraped clean. Most of the internals returned to their original colour and there was only a little corrosion. Greased up and reassembled, reinstalled on the car. Took it for a drive after clearing the code and was pleased to find good power, smooth running etc., then the eml came on... Code was P1206 - Blocked DPF. All the stop, start, limp mode ******** had blocked it. Cleared the code and then took it for a blast on the motorway before the code could come back. 80mph in 4th, 3500rpm. Kept going until a regen kicked in and completed. No eml, no limp mode, pulls like an Alfa again! Just in time for MOT tomorrow.:biglaugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts