Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with a few days on a normal journey to work I noticed car was not picking up revs at all and I was driving to work at snails pace. But half way into my 10mile trip to work suddenly the problem cleared up and car was back to normal again. Well the no issue for a few days until yesterday......

After work jumped back into the car and it started but within 2-3 seconds got cut off. Tried a few times but kept on cutting off as soon as I tried putting my foot down on accelerator but no luck car kept on cutting off and I noticed some smoke coming out the exhaust and a funny gas smell. I gave up called the RAC and towed it home.

Car will not start. Will be taking it to garage tomorrow but does anyone have a clue what it could be. The Rac driver mentioned maybe it could be a dodgy fuel pump valve.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what it could be? Help needed bigtime here. Gutted car is down and out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. Sorry. Car is a alfa romeo 159 ti. 1.9 diesel engine. Really gutted its not starting now. I need It sorted asap. Booked in at the garage tomorrow. I have read about different issues regarding the EGR and fuel pump.

When I started the car it just cut off after 3-4 seconds like it had no power. Continued doing the same thing for a while until the battery went low.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You say the engine died when you pressed the throttle, but did it idle okay otherwise? Could be something as simple as a throttle potentiometer, assuming it has one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It could be that the egr is stuck open, that would effectively choke the engine on its own exhaust fumes and may explain the smell you had. Stripping down and cleaning the egr is pretty straightforward. I stripped the solenoid on mine and regreased it. That stopped similar problems for me. If it's stuck open then the engine management light won't come on.

Was it idling okay or was it struggling?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be that the egr is stuck open, that would effectively choke the engine on its own exhaust fumes and may explain the smell you had. Stripping down and cleaning the egr is pretty straightforward. I stripped the solenoid on mine and regreased it. That stopped similar problems for me. If it's stuck open then the engine management light won't come on.

Was it idling okay or was it struggling?
I was smelling some dodgy fume smells so it could well be that.

It was struggling in idle before it got cut of but generally it is ok. Do not know too much about cars so a lot of this is confusing. Hopefully the local alfa mechanic can sort this issue out for me.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
With the best will in the world Adam, you can't diagnose this over the Internet.

We could throw dozens of reasons at you as to why you're car won't start.

The simplist is, do you have fuel, and/or have you put the correct fuel in?

Apart from that lets see what the professional, with the car in front of him says.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Lets hope it as simple as that, one hours job on the drive.:thumbup:

Thankfully I don't have that issue now.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Thankfully I don't have that issue now.
That's as maybe Verbout, but by God you're missing Alfa aren't you?
6,000 posts in under 2 years, and you must have had the Lexus 12 months now!

Reactions: Verbout

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the advice. Car has been towed to the garage now and when the mechanic is free he will have a look at it. Just to let you now yesterday when the bloke from RAC plugged in his diagnostic machine the error code come up as P2009.

Is that something to do with the fuel pump or egr?

·
Registered
92 Posts
P2009 comes up as flow shutter valves. I think that refers to the swirl flaps in the intake manifold. Could be your intake manifold is blocked / clogged? There's another thread on here where that code came up along with others and it ended up being the egr causing the other codes to trigger...

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
That's as maybe Verbout, but by God you're missing Alfa aren't you?
6,000 posts in under 2 years, and you must have had the Lexus 12 months now!
I do miss it, don't look out onto the drive as much as I used to but being practical, as I am, it had to go.

Had the Lexus just over a year. Not missed a beat.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
I do miss it, don't look out onto the drive as much as I used to but being practical, as I am, it had to go.

Had the Lexus just over a year. Not missed a beat.
Good to hear. Must be a novelty to have trouble-free motoring!
Been considering a Japanese car myself - a Subaru BRZ.
Waiting for used ones to drop in price but they seem to have very little depreciation.
Very few cars interest me after driving nothing but Alfa for 15 years.
The BRZ isn't exactly a 'must do', more about finding something that tries to tick a few boxes...

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
It's been boring driving a niggle-free car for the past 2 year.

I miss my 8-10month visits to Fiat/Lancia/Alfa.

I don't feel I've bonded with my JLR dealer at all.
I don't even know the name of the service chief!
2nd visit due on the 1st Feb for it's 2nd service.

Where's the dead battery, scuffed out tyres, PAS vomiting
and Engine Management Light warnings I had the 1st 2 years of the 159?! :(

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Been considering a Japanese car myself - a Subaru BRZ.
Waiting for used ones to drop in price but they seem to have very little depreciation.
Very few cars interest me after driving nothing but Alfa for 15 years.
The BRZ isn't exactly a 'must do', more about finding something that tries to tick a few boxes...
Still keeping the spider though? It's an appreciating classic.

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Still keeping the spider though? It's an appreciating classic.
No sign of them appreciating in value, but they're most definitely appreciated by lots of people - yet another compliment and 5 minute chinwag at the petrol station this morning
It'll have to go at some point, just not sure when exactly.
I can't justify running 2 cars for the relatively low mileage I do.
That's why I wanted to get the choice of new (to me) car just right, but still not sure if I'm honest. I keep thinking about a last of the line GT Cloverleaf in Atlantico Blue or Alfa Red...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts