Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my alternator and battery are working fine. Charging at a nice 14.5-7 volts at idle.

But my question is should the electrical system be regulated to 12 volts all through the car?

Mine is showing 13.5-14.7 volts, same as the battery.

Is this normal or has a relay failed or something?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks woody - good to know.

Just eliminating possibilies of possible lambda gauge failure showing extreme lean.
New manifold next - crossover in stainless steel (wife will kill me but she just bought a Wii and balance board!!:tut:)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
All is well... Just don't replace any fuses with a solid block of iron ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Tin foil from cigarette packets used to be the norm, but I'm not sure what passes for automotive fuse wire these days!

14.5 Volts sounds absolutely fine when the engine is running/charging correctly. 13.8 V is the assumed average voltage for most systems, 12 V with the engine running says you've got a lot of lights/fans/wipers running!

If your regulator ever failed and went open-loop, the voltage would shoot up to 16 V or more. I was checking the regulator on my Barracuda once and did a so-called "full-field" test, grounding the field winding of the alternator to chassis instead of through the regulator. The advice was to run the engine for only a short time, and have lights/fans/anything electrical on at the same time, to stop the voltage getting too high. Mission accomplished - my main beams came on super-bright, and my ammeter went full-scale (30 Amps) and the voltage went to 16.5 Volts. Once I had a new (secondhand) volatage regulator fitted, all was well :D

Going back to fuses, there was the chap that got an honourary Darwin award for replacing a fuse in his truck with a live bullet which subsequently overheated (he hadn't fixed the electrical fault that blew the fuse in the first place) and shot his gonads off...

Lauren

·
Registered
30,202 Posts
Calling it a 12V system is a little bit misleading too, because if your battery was only showing "12V" it would be flat!
12.6V or slightly more is the normal resting voltage for a car battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts