Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still don't get why VW GTi's hold there value so well. I do understand that an alfa should be a bit cheaper on resale but last week my friend decided to put his 2005 Golf 5 GTi on the market and got R158k for the car (It had 145k Km on the clock and was in pretty good condition) now i have a 2011 Giuletta, miles ahead of that and 6 years younger and i would probably be lucky to get R140k at the moment :-/ I was looking at selling it and getting a SC, but the depreciation is killer.

Anyway just thought i would get it off my chest, i don't know what person would pay that much for a golf 5, they are outdated and weren't the greatest even in their days.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wouldn't pay anything NEAR R185k for an 05 GTI. Did he sell it privately or into the trade?
He got 158k for the car. But with some light mods and an appealing look in sure there are VW guys that would pay 185k too!

It's very sad. But my logic and the way it seems to go is: high maintenance- low buy in. Lower or perceived "lower maintenance"- higher buy in. BMW E90's are just as cheap as Alfa, for a newish model. But expensive to maintain. So they are just over the 100k mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
Toyota's and vw's are the most overpriced cars here. They hold their value so well, and they're such ****ty cars.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
To me this makes sense - large numbers of customers mean that everybody can benefit from economies of scale (in terms of part prices, mod prices, shared technical info, shared DIY tips, breakfast run sizes, group buy possibilities, AFTER SALES SERVICE, etc).

I own the sedan version of the fifth-generation GTi. I've never wanted to like it, but I respect it.

Reactions: Guili

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sorry I meant R158k. Even that is ridiculous. E90 320i engines seem to expire at about 170-180 000km. Two folks I know have experienced this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very simple, cost to run and dealer availability and dealer service. Yes VW has dud dealers too but lets be honest here do ALL Alfa dealers really inspire any great deal of confidence either on the sales side or the workshop side?

Alfa suffers the unfair stigma but in SA the stigma of poor service levels appears to be justified.

"Sir you must fit a plastic impeller water pump because its stronger than metal" Yes well no fine.

Depreciation is a function of service levels and demand which is function of marketing and I'll stop right there....:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
One thing where VW and Toyota do win is the availability of cheap parts in SA. You can goto Goldwagen or Midas or...(insert any name you like here) and get decent aftermarket/pirate spares for your Polo/Golf/Etios/Corolla/Yaris etc etc etc

I mean service kit for a 1.3 litre Yaris at Goldwagen R350 (includes oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs) what a bargain. Radiator for a Vivo R955. Plus Goldwagen normally stocks decent name brand spares.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 140000 Km that I can't get R 50 000 for.
For that kind of money I'll drive it till the wheels fall of.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
One thing where VW and Toyota do win is the availability of cheap parts in SA. You can goto Goldwagen or Midas or...(insert any name you like here) and get decent aftermarket/pirate spares for your Polo/Golf/Etios/Corolla/Yaris etc etc etc

I mean service kit for a 1.3 litre Yaris at Goldwagen R350 (includes oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs) what a bargain. Radiator for a Vivo R955. Plus Goldwagen normally stocks decent name brand spares.

Why would you need a radiator for a Vivo? German cars never break.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Plus Goldwagen normally stocks decent name brand spares.
I really struggled for a while to get good quality brake pressure switches for my old junior. I bought from Midas and Autozone and both items started leaking soon afterwards.
Then someone told me that Goldwagen sells ones that last (similar part to Golf 1) and I bought two. They still work even altough the part comes from China.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
VW has bad dealers too, popularity is something that should people off and it sometimes does. Argument: "Dude how could you buy a GTi, there's so many cars out there', "yeah I know, that's the only thing I hate about it, the fact that every one in my street has one, but when I want to resell again I can get into any car I want, because the GTi will just sell"

That's the crux here. The GTi will sell therefore people buy it, they look beyond the fact that its 'vollop', and look 3 or 4 years ahead when they can get out of the current one and into the new one.

With an Alfa, you can't do this, the reason the GQV's are moving slow is because all the 2011/12 GQV guys want to get out and into the new SC or GQV TcT, but they can't, they'll lose up to R50k or more for a trade in, and then the GQV SC or TcT is not even up to par with the competition in terms of spec. Make it easier for current owners to get into New Alfa Romeo's, if you look at finance deals abroad its no wonder we are struggling to sell new Alfa's this side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got a trade in value for my 2012 159 3.2Ti last year when almost bought a Merc A45. They offered me just over R100k for the Alfa. Based on this decided I wasn't going to buy the Merc. Tradein values don't mean anything anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
In Germany one could buy the Giulietta with a extra package which guaranteed a maximum depreciation value lower than what Alfas normally have. The idea was, that people sell their Giulietta via the dealership were they would get more than what the market usually would have offered and the dealership in return could "influence" the resale price a bit. Good idea, but I don't know if it worked out.

Reactions: Guili

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have always held out till I could get the price I wanted when trading in my Alfas..... I look at it this way, car dealers have quotas that they have to meet..... I bring them a good car with service history, extras and normally no work to be done.
If they do not give me at least market value, I walk..... simple as that. I have never got less than what I wanted for my cars, in fact, once or twice I got more than market value.
I think we as Alfa Owners tend to just accept the ridiculous values we get offered and so the circle continues. I might not sell my car at the first attempt, but eventually someone will make me a deal. In this respect Chatz have (with a little bit of haggling) always come to the party for me

The message is simple..... Give me a fair market value price for my car or more, or I go to your competition.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have always held out till I could get the price I wanted when trading in my Alfas..... I look at it this way, car dealers have quotas that they have to meet..... I bring them a good car with service history, extras and normally no work to be done.
If they do not give me at least market value, I walk..... simple as that. I have never got less than what I wanted for my cars, in fact, once or twice I got more than market value.
I think we as Alfa Owners tend to just accept the ridiculous values we get offered and so the circle continues. I might not sell my car at the first attempt, but eventually someone will make me a deal. In this respect Chatz have (with a little bit of haggling) always come to the party for me

The message is simple..... Give me a fair market value price for my car or more, or I go to your competition.....
This is spot on! Recently experienced this, get to know the value of your car - sure it's not gonna be as high as a VW or Toyota (can't really control this) but just make sure you get a decent amount for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts