Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Phase 2 Twin Spark has been diagnosed with a suspected bottom end failure, so now comes the time to get rid. It starts but has a significant knock on tickover which gets worse with the increase in rev's.

Can someone give me an indication of what I might get for it as it stands?

I'm pretty sure someone who's handy and has the time can get it fixed up.

Spec:
Phase 2 1999 'V' Plate
Silver with Red interior
Rear Aero spoiler (with brake light!)
Teledials
Interior is in good condition (normal wear on the drivers bolsters and holes in the door cards)

I've owned it for 8+ years, so everything you can imagine has been done:
Recent new clutch (probably less than 1000 miles)
New timing belt
Alternator
MAF
Recent service
Poweflexed
Drilled and grooved discs
Rear screen heater fix
Replaced all the speakers
Spare wheel (with official jack holder!)
Plus loads of other stuff that I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Unfortunately it's worth about £100 - £200. I bought one with big end s gone last year for £100 but it wasn't probably as nice as yours. Secondhand engines are about £200 but no quarentee its any good. Recond one is £1200 ish plus £500 - £600 to fit I would imagine. Where about are you?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My Phase 2 Twin Spark has been diagnosed with a suspected bottom end failure, so now comes the time to get rid. It starts but has a significant knock on tickover which gets worse with the increase in rev's.

Can someone give me an indication of what I might get for it as it stands?

I'm pretty sure someone who's handy and has the time can get it fixed up.

Spec:
Phase 2 1999 'V' Plate
Silver with Red interior
Rear Aero spoiler (with brake light!)
Teledials
Interior is in good condition (normal wear on the drivers bolsters and holes in the door cards)

I've owned it for 8+ years, so everything you can imagine has been done:
Recent new clutch (probably less than 1000 miles)
New timing belt
Alternator
MAF
Recent service
Poweflexed
Drilled and grooved discs
Rear screen heater fix
Replaced all the speakers
Spare wheel (with official jack holder!)
Plus loads of other stuff that I can't remember right now.
Recon engine route or approx £1000 in parts....to take off your hands as is probably £400-£500 so i disagree slightly with Danny.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Auto lusso quoted me £1500 for new recon engine all in, I just didn't have the cash spare so went down the cheaper root off second had engine that cost £275 plus £500 to have fitted

If I had the money I would have got auto lusso to do it

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's such a shame when things like that happen. Same thing happened to my Alfa 147 years ago..Didn't get much for it. Thinking back now i should've just split it. It had that lovely leather interior with the red stitching too.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
If the engine hasn't been knocking for long then you might get away with a new set of bearing shells and an oil change.

approx £60 for the shells and then a weekend or 2 of your time?

If it has been knocking for a while though then you could have damaged the crank :(

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Danny got the valuation spot on imo. Scrap value is through the floor about £60 so if you are lucky and find someone who wants a project or is happy to spend the time breaking it, £200 perhaps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The teledials should push the value up though ,if they're in good knick.
I'd get the sump off and have a looksee before giving up on it, if it were mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the response everyone. I think I'll probably end up breaking it when I find the time. To answer a few things:

Hello. Are you based in West Norfolk Downham Market area by any chance?
Nope. Bristol area.

If the engine hasn't been knocking for long then you might get away with a new set of bearing shells and an oil change.

approx £60 for the shells and then a weekend or 2 of your time?

If it has been knocking for a while though then you could have damaged the crank :(
I've already spent about £400 getting the top end rebuilt as that was initially the issue. I'm not really interested in pumping more money into a car that already owes me a significant amount of cash. I've already replaced it with a Type R FN2, so was just hoping to get recoup something!

Danny got the valuation spot on imo. Scrap value is through the floor about £60 so if you are lucky and find someone who wants a project or is happy to spend the time breaking it, £200 perhaps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
This was my thought too, but just wanted further opinions.

The teledials should push the value up though ,if they're in good knick.
I'd get the sump off and have a looksee before giving up on it, if it were mine.
Teledials probably need a refurb. Removing the sump didn't yield much, so would require a much more invasive look around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts