Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been reading on Autotrader that us 3.0 drivers might be forking out £440 in tax next year. I couldn't find any mention of an exemption for cars made before 2001 - only for those registered before 1974. Is there anyone on here with a better understanding of this? Seems like a lot of money to fork out for the pleasure of driving over bumpy roads riddled with bad traffic light arrangements, ill thought out one way systems and speed cameras... not to mention variable speed limits, road cones, lane closures, etc etc...

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Its been done to death on here already, there are a few threads on it try having a search around :)

In summary:

From April 2009 onwards, the following applies:

Cars from March 2001 onwards will be taxed on emissions, up to £440 for the most polluting cars.

Cars from before March 2001 are taxed based on engine size, there are two categories, less than 1500cc and 1500cc or more.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the current arrangement, but the article I've read suggests it might be changing. Here's a link:

New road tax prices – 2009 guide - Auto Trader UK - Features - News and Reviews Hub

The upshot is that, while I understand the current system, it looks like it's changing in 2009 and again in 2010. The article I've linked does explain the exemptions to the rule but it doesn't mention anything about pre-2001 cars - at least I don't think it does; hopefully someone can tell me if I've missed something?

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Yes, the new arrangement is the same as the current arrangement, however the highest tax band 'G', at the moment, was introduced sometime in 2006, and so only applies to cars registered from then onwards. If your car was 2005, it would be band F, if 2006, band G, paying about double the tax. That is the current arrangement.

What they are doing in 2009 is putting all cars in the same bands based on emissions regardless of age, all the way back to those registered in March 2001. So your car, if it is registered after March 2001, is currently in band F, costing £200 and something a year to tax, will then become band G, and cost £440 a year to tax.

The changes in 2010 are just minor price changes, the principle will carry on from 2009.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
No. You didn't miss anything.

In 2001 cars the government started measuring cars' CO2emissions for Company car tax purposes, so the emissions of cars after that date is "known" and emissions for cars before that date is not known (even the same model.. the 2001 date is when it came into force and they have to start sometime).

So, now it's possible for the government to tax cars according to the known "official" emissions. Cars before 2001 were not measured, so they pay a set rate. Cars up to 1500cc is about £90 I think.. cars over that are £180-ish.

Obviously this encourages owners of old, big cars to hang on to them :D and old small cars to buy a newer one.. as new small cars will pay bugger-all now.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I think that its a large increase and unfair and is in no way going to help the "green issue". What it will mean is that some people with cars that fall into the £440 category will sell them and probably get a pre 2001 car for example. This will not get rid of the £440 bracket cars off the roads.
If they want to increase tax they should bring in the emission laws and state from this date x all new cars have to comply to emissions or the tax will be y. Then anyone buying a new car has the choice and also when they become 2nd hand everyone is aware of the costs.
This is unfair on car owners in the £440 bracket as their cars did not have to meet the emissions standards that are now being put in place. If they really want to help the green issue, sort out all new buildings to either use solar or wind power in part for power, better insulation, or even fine companies for leaving lights on in buildings at night. I see this as a way to raise extra money from motorists and paint it as green. Do not get me wrong I recycle nearly everything, we have a very efficient house, and are looking at solar or wind power, so I am quite green. My only vice is the car, which I would not change for anything

Rant over!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, that's a relief. So, the good news for me is that my '99 Gtv is not gonna rape me tax-wise. The bad news is that the 147/156 GTA I was thinking about getting when the Gtv becomes unmaintainable is starting to look a bit pricey...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
This is the thing with the car tax debate ... the most environmentally friendly thing would be for people to keep their old cars rather than buy new ones, how much CO2 is produced in the actually production of cars?? (let alone the mass of precious metals that go into them), therefore the new tax should only be for new cars and old cars should be promoted ...

... of course this is pretty much what has happened because it is now virtually impossible to sell a car with greater than a 2.5l engine for any decent amount, so people are holding onto there cars rather than selling them ...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While researching this a bit, I came across more bad news:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article4909662.ece

I'm particularly upset about the bit describing average speed cams for 'long stretches of rural 'a' road...'. These are the roads I bought my car for. We're turning into an oversupervised, supersanitized nanny state, and I, for one, don't like it.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
While researching this a bit, I came across more bad news:

Drivers will have no escape from new speed cameras

I'm particularly upset about the bit describing average speed cams for 'long stretches of rural 'a' road...'. These are the roads I bought my car for. We're turning into an oversupervised, supersanitized nanny state, and I, for one, don't like it.

The word you are looking for is 'fascism'. And it sucks :(

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Im not happy about the 100% increase in road tax on my GTA but compared to the annual running cost including fuel im not going to loose any sleep over it and it certainly wouldn’t put me off a purchase.

Showroom tax though is a disgrace, I believe (correct me if im wrong) you will be looking at around £3000 in tax (all taxes inc) on an average £12,000 family car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had my tax renewal through yesterday for my 1999 3.0 v6, was expecting it to be bonkers but its £185 for a year which i'm quite happy with! As a comparison, I got one through for my wifes 2003 1.8 Picasso same day and thats £170.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
£440 road tax is soooo wrong, I see it as they are taxing my fun:(

The GTA is in the worst polluting band but atleast I'm good at something:lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
This is the thing with the car tax debate ... the most environmentally friendly thing would be for people to keep their old cars rather than buy new ones, how much CO2 is produced in the actually production of cars??
I agree with this, buying a new one means your out of pocket anyway somewhere along the line probably more than the uplift on tax.

False economy

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Going to be harder to sell now but I'm not going to anyway. Soon I just think it will be the norm having £440 tax, people will just accept it like they have done will the stupid petrol prices.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm 100% sure to say that if they erect such monstrosities as these 'networked' speed cameras there will be no point in driving a high performance car.

I am 100% sure also that if they do go ahead, I will be out with my matches and white spirit watching each one burn (along with others I hope).

I'm sure the government could tell me the last time I took a pee it lasted 26.3 seconds - the amount of cameras they have around now is unjustifiable - crime rates in many areas are still on the up.

Some clever Japanese kid will probably invent a camera jammer anyway so all hope (hopefully) is not lost!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
im not generally in favour of breaking the law by I love the idea of these people who spray the road camera lenses black. Or even better that bloke who used industrial expanding insulator foam (the stuff they fill cavaity walls with in houses for insultation) and filled the insides of the speed cameras up with that (theres a little hole on them apparently). Where it expends and sets solid.

makes me smile to think of the police engineer opening up the camera seeing this mass of solidified foam and saying "what the ****!?!?"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts