Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had a weird issue in the car where I was cruising maybe around 80km/h and then the car would suddenly lurch (abrupt jump) to the right-hand side. The VDC light flashes, steering pushes to the right-hand side and I would have to hard correct. Only lasted momentarily and happened twice, I think both times going up a hill and the second time it was less of an effect.

Any ideas guys? Taking it to a mechanic soon, but interested in finding out some more about it.

Definitely gave me a scare.

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
It'll be an issue with steering angle sensor being incorrectly calibrated, the car thinks it is sliding and corrects by braking one wheel. I would advise getting your car on a 4 wheel alignment rig, getting the front wheels absolutely dead-ahead and then run a steering angle calibration using diagnostic equipment, which is part of the ABS ECU.

I've had this before on my old 2.4 JTD, it can be quite scary.

Also make sure you are running the same size tyres on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
37,146 Posts
Would it also be worth checking the wheel speed sensors and reluctor rings?

They could be damaged or have corrosion causing incorrect readings to go to the ECU

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Would it also be worth checking the wheel speed sensors and reluctor rings?

They could be damaged or have corrosion causing incorrect readings to go to the ECU
Worth checking yes, but usually an issue with wheel speed will throw on a traction control light after a while, particularly if driving on a long straight road. For example if 3 wheels reporting 30km/h and steering angle sensor reporting close to straight ahead, if the 4th wheel is reporting 25km/h then after a few kilometres it will give a VDC error and disable the system. Anything being just slightly out seems to make these go haywire and respond as if you are out of control, but anything massively out or not working is quickly picked up and the system shows a fault and disables itself.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I would advise getting your car on a 4 wheel alignment rig, getting the front wheels absolutely dead-ahead and then run a steering angle calibration using diagnostic equipment.
Does the diagnostic equipment need to be Alfa or can general garage setup do this?

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Does the diagnostic equipment need to be Alfa or can general garage setup do this?
Most decent bits of equipment will talk to the ABS ECU. My Texa diagnostic tool does it, so will most Snapon garage tools.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts