Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As the heading says like a idiot I ran out of petrol on Friday . So now When I put my foot down the car seams to stutter and hesitate then starts to go , I'm guessing I could have brought some debris from the tank when it was scrapping for fuel . Is there a way to clean it out or some additive in to clean it ? I know there no fuel filter in the petrol ones or it carnt be got at as it's in the fuel pump or tank . Any help is appreciated

Alfa 147 2.0 ts 2002

G

·
0 Posts
Fill her up with as much fuel as you can... Very rare that debris is actually in these tanks and even rarer that the will completey clog up the gauze on the fuel pump enough to cause the stuttering... Fuel treatments dont do any harm but dont do any good either... :rolleyes:
All the lubricants, detergents etc are already in the fuel that you use so save the money.

Do an ECU reset proceedure to forget the learned parameters including a throttle position reset, Clean the throttlebody and make sure your air induction pipes are tight and dont have splits that can draw unmetered air into the the system.... Stuttering and misfires can cause a rubber consertina to split easily if its worn due to the jerk on the engine mounts and then manifest with further uneven running.
It will rectify itself over a full fuel tank of running but doing the above will help it get over its tantrum a little quicker:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Grahameo;4609805 All the lubricants said:
Unless you use supermarket fuel, and even if you don't, an extra strong dose will do your engine the world of good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right then an update ,
Didn't have time to do the ecu reset yestoday so I thought I would do the throttle reset , did that . Then when I came too the car this morning started it up and noticed it was running really rough about 30 sec down the road I got a motor system Control failUre error intermittently , any idears when this is now ? And should I do the ecu reset ? Could it fix the problem or is it something else ?

I have a BMW as well and had the same type of running rough on that got it plugged in and it was a only running on 3 cylinders faulty ht lead could this be same.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Had something similar on my 145. Sounds like it's not firing on all cylinders - and struggles to accelerate. Is there oil or moisture in the spark plug well?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had something similar on my 145. Sounds like it's not firing on all cylinders - and struggles to accelerate. Is there oil or moisture in the spark plug well?
I've not checked going to take the plastic cover off later and check thanks for the advice

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
OK, plastic engine cover off, coilpacks off and dry out the plug wells and every connector you can see....!

G

·
0 Posts
While you have the engine cover off... Checked your plugs and coil packs......
Try this:
Unplug the fuel injector connections (red rubber boots on them IIRC, push in the spring clip) one at a time and check if they are nice , dry and clean... Refit one at a time until you hear the spring clip go click and try to pull the connector off without pushing the spring clip in this time) to make sure it is in position correctly.

It sounds like an unrelated to running out of fuel fault to me, an ecu reset won't do any harm but doing the throttle reset without doing the full ECU reset can obviously make it run rough... The throttle is now out of kilter with what the old learned values of what the ECU has been running at.
Thats why I suggested both!
But give it time, it will settle down... If there is a misfire then it will be either the coils, sparks or injector connections
I just know how easy it is to accidently catch one of the spring clips and low and behold, instant misfire, it took me a few days to figure out what it was as I presumed they were all secure and didn't check them individually:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the plastic cover off and noticed some oil near the coil where the spark plug goes .after taking that out , the well where the spark plug sits had about an inch of oil in it I got a syringe and sucked all the oil out then removed the spark plug gave it clean put it back . The coil had quite a lot of oil on it so gave that a clean also . Put it all back together and still the same . Could the oil have messed the coil up ? Or plug or that black box thing on top . Is there a way to check rather than change the lot ?

Thanks for all the help on this , sorry if I don't know what any of the parts are called not really had all that much to do with cars

G

·
0 Posts
Ok... We can start with the basics. Disconnect the battery first.
1. disconnect the coil pack, unbolt and pull out the coil pack unit .
There must be some residual oil down the spark plug well so what we need to do is to get as much oil out as possible and make it sqweaky clean.

2. Inspect the long rubber boots that attaches to the top of the spark plugs. Make sure that there are no splits in the rubber or chunks missing. If so , it needs replacing....Coil packs are fairly generic or standard which means that you can get a decent one from a breakers yard from a similar twinspark (any cylinder number will do 1, 2, 3 or 4, just make a note of your current part number) if it is damaged and swap it over. Usually expect to pay about £10 at a breakers yard.

Yes... you can remove them from the metal rail and replace only one pack if needed.

Any splits or chunks missing in the rubber boots then the coil pack with simply ark to the cylinder head instead of making contact with the spark plug, thus causing a misfire... Oil won't help as it conducts the spark even better away from the spark plug... Thats why it's so important to clean any tiny bits of oil off the parts above... Oil also has an effect on the rubber boot too making it weak, soft and slimy and easy to split earlier than it normaly would. It looses its non-conductive properties.

If the rubber boot is ok and in good condition, make sure that there is no oil around the inside of it.... Using a tin of brake and clutch cleaner and some cotton buds helps a lot here.

3. Now remove the spark plug, one at a time, 8 in all and inspect it... if it is wet with petrol then their is your culprit, it should have a dry light sooty coating at worst and once you rub it lightly with your finger you should see a light grey/ brown tinge on the electrode

If its wet with fuel, give it a quick dry off and use a light wire brush to clean off any residue, let it dry out for a few minutes.

4. Dont worry too much about any remaining oil dropping down the threads of the spark plug hole, it will burn off when you first start the car after you are finished. Lightly dampen a clean rag with the brake/ clutch cleaner and give the spark plug well and the spark plug threads in the cylinder head a good clean... a long piece of cane with the rag wrapped round the end helps a lot, like a bigger cotton bud.

5. Re-fit the spark plug but dont over tighten it... Nip it up and then give another quarter turn with a ratchet bar and socket.
Now refit your cleaned off coil pack bolt it down and reconnect it...

6. Now do the same to the rest of them for good measure one at a time

& like I mentioned in my earlier reply, check the connections to the Fuel injectors it can give a similareffect to a misfire if one is loose These are red in colour and sit at the back of the rocker cover, 4 in all... Disconnect each one at a time and refit securely

I have included a link to a very good member's site that will help you with the 2.0 TS basics
Gazza82's Alfa 156 2-litre Twinspark Look under the heading of Hint's and tips and click on the link for 16v spark plugs... All what I have explained above is there and has some pictures if you are in doubt mate ok.

Once you have done all this, then reconnect the battery, and hopefully it will be no longer misfiring...
Then you can perform the ecu and throttle reset proceedure at the same time in this link http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/201163-ecu-reset-its-a-miracle-cure.html
Just To make sure you have got rid of old ECU values and you should be ok. That is, if nothing else is causing your issue.

Thank's to Gazza82 for a very good website BTW:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts