Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Any ideas on start up ?.

My GTA will be standing for a 12 or weeks ,under cover etc .And if anyone has experience of similar l'd be grateful of any heads up that can be given.

Thxs alot :thumbup::

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
12 weeks isn't long enough for any deterioration of anything....other than the battery. If the car isn't in a locked garage then pop the bonnet, then lock the car with the key in the lock so the alarm doesn't set, then disconnect the negative lead on the battery and drop the bonnet. It should fire up with no issues when you come to use it again.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
should be fine, dont put the handbrake on! pads will be welded to the rear disks by the time you back.

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
I'd put 40-odd psi in them all, at least if they lose a pound a week you're not going to come home to find one of them flat and out of shape.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have left my GTA for long periods a few times. Once it was almost a year!!!!
Anyway, i don't think it will deterioate that much, but defo disconnect battery and pump tyres up.
Make sure there is a good % of antifreeze in your coolant especially this time of year.
I also would invest in a couple of moisture boxes from Tesco or similar for £1 each and put in front and rear of car. It will stop the car sweating and building up moisture inside the car.
Make sure you check all fluids before you start it up.
Otherwise when you come to drive it, just use your foot on the brake to clean up the discs as they will have got a bit rusty after being left.

Reactions: Ducati rs 855
E

·
0 Posts
should be fine, dont put the handbrake on! pads will be welded to the rear disks by the time you back.
Yup, reminds me of having to attack the back brakes of my old 33 with a hammer after it had been left in the garage for months with the handbrake on.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I took my Gta out of the garage for the first time since September and everything was fine. The only thing I use is a battery trickle charger from Halfords. It's been plugged into that for the last 5 months or so and it fired up immediately and ran sweet as a nut. I do leave the handbrake off as well. It did need a good dust mind! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have recently imported a Subaru GTB twinscoll which sat for three months on a boat (spent months looking for a GTA wagon instead to no avail). Everything was ok upon re-ignition aside from the battery which was fubared. Fuel tends to "go-off" after a few months as well, it needed a fresh tank in it to make it run properly. The same happened on my brothers Disco 3, albeit a diesel, after a 3 month lay up. My advice would not to leave a tank full of gas in it.

Tyres need inflating as well, mine lost about 15psi over 3 months.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I left my GTA since November locked with the door key (no alarm set) but battery left connected.

Went to it today with a trickle charger.....and the battery (which was new in October) is dead as a dodo...won't even take a charge.

Would the natural drain on the battery be that bad to kill it dead in four months? Or does that point to a rogue drain somewhere?

I did think to disconnect the battery but somehow felt that may not be good for the ecu to be offline for so long.....??

I've thought to jump start the car and hope that the dead battery will revive....but not wanting to risk any damage to the electrics etc running the car with a dead battery??

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Always disconnect. Never done any harm that i could see on mines. It gets expensive if having to replace battery all time. Yes leaving it connected will drain it. It doesn't matter what car it is.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Always disconnect. Never done any harm that i could see on mines. It gets expensive if having to replace battery all time. Yes leaving it connected will drain it. It doesn't matter what car it is.
ok thanks....I have the trickle charger now...but kicking myself about killing a brand new battery....doh!

·
Vendor
46,347 Posts
I've got a power cut off switch in the track slag which effectively disconnects the live from the rest of the vehicle's electrics, the battery will still start the car 3 months after being parked up absolutely no problem :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
the battery (which was new in October) is dead as a dodo...won't even take a charge.
...I have the trickle charger now...but kicking myself about killing a brand new battery....doh!
If it is only 5-months old, you'll get a free replacement under warranty if it really has failed.
What battery is it and where did you buy it from.

Reactions: will01

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well done all thats been suggested .So fingers crossed she will be fine as have a trip to Poland via Colditz castle booked in May ! thanks for the heads up fellas .

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yup, reminds me of having to attack the back brakes of my old 33 with a hammer after it had been left in the garage for months with the handbrake on.
You want to try owning an Alfetta, mine would stand in a (probably damp) garage all week, and then at the weekend the rear pads would be stuck to the discs and the clutch would be welded together, so the whole car had to be rocked and with and almighty bang all was free again, nice.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
My GTV has been parked up since the begining of December. Recharged the battery and fired straight up however in the 12 or so weeks the boot release has decided to trigger randomly, it pops out of 1st, 3rd and 5th due to engine mount wear and the nearly new thermostat has stuck again. All was well when parked up

If possible, get someone to take it for a drive every few weeks to keep it loose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts