Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Looking for a wee bit of car advice and apologies in advance if this is a bit long winded.

I am going through the process of car rationalisation and have decided that within the next few months I want to get rid of all my projects and replace them with 1 outragious weekend toy and 1 reliable (but fun) daily hack.

The new weekend toy has been sorted (GT 3.2 v6) :) but will be my daily driver for the forseeable future. The reliable daily hack can wait untill summer.

Which leaves me with 5 cars!! 4 of which I need to get rid of, and fast.

first is my current daily, A 2010 Giulietta 170 MA Lusso with some upgrades. I have worked it up quite well now (even though I shouldn't have had to at only 5 years old!). We buy any car will give me an ok price for it but about a grand less than I want for it. Is it worth the effort to advertise locally or am I best off just approaching local dealers and sell it to anyone who will better the WBAC price?

Next is the GTV 2.0ts. I love this car and have put a lot of work into it but realistically it needs a lot more. Nothing costly, just time consuming like striping the floorpan for priming and re-undersealing, replacing exhaust studs, adjusting doors and sorting the bodywork. It is taxed and insured but rarely used. I am no hurry to sell this but can't see me getting the time to put the work in to get it up to worth a proper asking price.

This leaves a '97 145 QV and an '85 Porshe 944 2.5 LUX. both cars need essentially a total restoration and I don't have time for any of that so for the sake of my own sanity (I fear I am turning into a hoarder) I am going to get rid. But the problem is I don't want them scrapped. The Porsche has sentimental value, It is the only nice/cool car my dad has ever owned but it is beyond saving. I want it to go to save another 944 as it has a sound engine and gearbox. The 145 I love and don't want to send to the scrapper but I fear it is not worth saving so I also want that to go to someone who will use it to save another. It is complete, but mostly dismantled. I would appreciate any advice into the best place/way to advertise these.

Also, in addition to this I am trying to help my soon to be father in law sell an old Volvo 850 that is surplus to requirements. It is mechanically sound apart from it has started to drink coolant but we can't find any evidence of a coolant leak or head gasket problem. I have advertised on the Volvo owners club forum but not even a nibble. Again, any advice on where to advertise this would be much appreciated!

Thanks anyone who was able to endure this and is able to give any advice, I think I have a bit of a problem when it comes to cars :s

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Cann't really say much other than WBAC will invariably try and reduce the initial price on inspection. All and every scratch and dint will be used as an excusereason to knock money off. It should not be difficult to better their final offer given they make money by selling the car on without any further work to it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Try them all on Gumtree in the first instance as free so nothing to lose. I have actually sold two cars via there but was patient. I would like a Giulietta one day as despite the GT 3.2 being the best car I have owned (along with my old 147 GTA) I know it won't be a car I will be able to keep forever. The 170 MA sounds spot on, I would ideally like a Cloverleaf but reading up the stats I am not sure it is worth the extra cash. Have you enjoyed the 170 MA?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try them all on Gumtree in the first instance as free so nothing to lose. I have actually sold two cars via there but was patient. I would like a Giulietta one day as despite the GT 3.2 being the best car I have owned (along with my old 147 GTA) I know it won't be a car I will be able to keep forever. The 170 MA sounds spot on, I would ideally like a Cloverleaf but reading up the stats I am not sure it is worth the extra cash. Have you enjoyed the 170 MA?
Thanks Tony and DNG

The MA is a brilliant engine in every regard but hampered by overly sensitive emissions controlls. It has buckeloads of power (for a 1.4, comparable to a 2.0 tspark and faster still in dynamic) and MPG is reasonable but the throttle responce on pull away is restricted. It feels like the ECU is cutting the responce from the pedals. Both MA's I have had where like this so I would recomend a throttle map box, expecially if you are coming from a V6.

It is just a shame about the rest of the car but from what I understand, the later Giulietta's are much better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is a shame, I will have to test drive one to see...maybe the Cloverleaf would be the better option afterall

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I've just sold a Lotus 7 part finished kit on ebay and have had reasonable success in the past.

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
eBay, although being in Aberdeen means you might get the odd timewaster bid on it and win not realising you are a day's travel from most of the rest of the country. I had a couple when I tried to sell my Mrs's golf on ebay and Penrith isn't nowhere near as isolated as you are.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up on ebay now. Thanks all.

Dan, on your advise I added a line at the end of the auction to advise on my location, Cheers.

If it doesn't sell on Ebay then off the WBAC. A fitting end for what has been a sadly disapointing car. Although I do think I am getting rid of it at a "mechanically" high point as I have sorted most of its issues.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ebay seemed a waste of time in the end. Listed the Giulietta with a starting price low enough that it made it the cheapest on ebay, a very reasonable reserve and a realistic buy it now and not a single bid.

Off the WBAC on Thursday. A fitting end for a disapointing car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts